BAD BCN/S Wick Stick-ums

Just a warning, do not order any BCN/S wick tabs until they get their mfg problem straightened out. The tabs will not come off the sheet properly, they are stuck to top. The bad ones have are on a roll marked "Specialty Tapes." I have notified them and hopefully they will send replacements as soon as they have them. Carole

I am having the same problem... contacted them.... and the weren't very gracious about it. At first they said it was a manf. problem, so they were not responsible (WTF)...... then after much bitching by me and saying they should stand behind what they sell, they said they will replace when new ones come in.

It has way slowed down my production....

I used to buy wick stickums all the time. I had heard several candlemakers say they used glue from a glue stick with a glue gun, but I never could get that to work for me. Until one day I ran out of stickums and decided to give them one more try. Sure enough the glue sticks worked very well. I buy a bag from Walmart and they last a year. Bag cost $.99. Don't those stickums cost $20?

SharonH

I used to buy wick stickums all the time. I had heard several candlemakers say they used glue from a glue stick with a glue gun, but I never could get that to work for me. Until one day I ran out of stickums and decided to give them one more try. Sure enough the glue sticks worked very well. I buy a bag from Walmart and they last a year. Bag cost $.99. Don't those stickums cost $20?

SharonH

SharonH,

How difficult is it to remove the wick tabs if you use the glue? We are always testing new scents, and with the stickumms, I don't have a problem removing them - not sure how the glue would work in that case.

To me it is much easier to remove the wick tab with hot glue than with wick stickers (I've only used the stickers from CandleMaker's Store so they may stick tighter than BC's). I turn my jars upside-down on a foil-lined pan and put in the oven on low heat to remove any residual wax anyway, and the glue melts enough that the wicks just fall right out. That's how I know the wax is all melted--when I start hearing wick tabs hit the pan!

Wish I had read this warning sooner. I saw on their website they are out of stock just before I ordered today. I mentioned this to CS and she said she had a few left. I really hope I don't get bad stickums, now that I know they know there is a problem.

SharonH,

How difficult is it to remove the wick tabs if you use the glue? We are always testing new scents, and with the stickumms, I don't have a problem removing them - not sure how the glue would work in that case.

They can be really tough to remove, but a quick fix, set the jar in the oven at 200F till the jar is hot and the glue will soften and come right out. HTH

SharonH

And this is so much cheaper than paying $20!!!!

SharonH,

When I am testing wicks I pour a jar with no wick. While the wax is still a bit soft I run a bamboo skewer down the center of it. I stick my wick down in that hole. As quick as you light the wick the wax fills the hole and you are good to go. Need to change wicks? Take a pair of pliers and pull the wick out and stick a new one in the hole and go again.

I use a glue pot I bought at Michael's craft store. I used the wick stickers before that and I would never go back. Ever.

When I am testing wicks I pour a jar with no wick. While the wax is still a bit soft I run a bamboo skewer down the center of it. I stick my wick down in that hole. As quick as you light the wick the wax fills the hole and you are good to go. Need to change wicks? Take a pair of pliers and pull the wick out and stick a new one in the hole and go again.

I use a glue pot I bought at Michael's craft store. I used the wick stickers before that and I would never go back. Ever.

Thanks so much for the suggestions. We only use the 10 oz apothecary jars right now, so there is only a few inches of wax in it. We test from top to bottom, so I would worry about the wicks falling over. Also, if a jar is over-wicked, the wax goes completely to liquid and I just think it would be too dangerous to not have the wicks secured.

We are now testing a taller jar, so I may try that method with that. It could save us alot of time and wax if I can tell half-way down that it is just not going to do it! lol

Thanks again.

Not to hijack, but I've had two product/csr issues with BCS lately. Prior experiences with them have been wonderful, recently not so much. Are they under new management or ownership or something???

For now I've found other suppliers for what I order from them and for now hope to avoid future dealings with them.