Universal Additive vs. Vybar

Vybar and UA (universal additive) are used for paraffin candles. USA (universal soy additive) is used for soy-based candles which smooths tops and the general consistency of the wax. It doesn't make C3 harder nor more opaque.

I prefer using USA in soy-based waxes because it helps ameliorate several issues: consistency, smooth tops, frosting and scent throw. Stearic acid doesn't help with those same issues with the soy-based container wax that I use (NatureWax C3), although it is recommended by the manufacturer for their pillar and votive blends (V1 and P1). I do, however, use palm stearic acid with pillar/votive palm waxes to help it release from molds more easily.

I didn't know there was a special one just for soy. Where do you get yours?

P.S. Stella... you're a peach! :D

Vybar and UA (universal additive) are used for paraffin candles. USA (universal soy additive) is used for soy-based candles which smooths tops and the general consistency of the wax. It doesn't make C3 harder nor more opaque.

I prefer using USA in soy-based waxes because it helps ameliorate several issues: consistency, smooth tops, frosting and scent throw. Stearic acid doesn't help with those same issues with the soy-based container wax that I use, although it is recommended by the manufacturer for their pillar and votive blends (V1 and P1). I do, however, use palm stearic acid with pillar/votive palm waxes to help it release from molds more easily.

are your candles soy??

I dont add anything to my soy.

tootie

Now see... that was a smart question...LOL. Had I paid attention to the name of the poster, it might have dawned on me.

For some odd reason, I still expect paraffin questions here and soy questions on the veggie board. :D

It was just a general question thats why I posted it here, and I hadn't realized there was a specific area for veggie candles. And til Stella pointed it out, I didn't know there was a specific UA for soy. All the suppliers I have looked at said it regular UA could be used in any wax application. Ya learn something new everyday! :D

I just asked if his candles were soy because I have never heard of using vybar or steric in soy. I used to use KY125 and that question came up a long time ago and it seemed to be the conclusion that vybar would bind the scent up in soy....

I was not even thinking of which board he was on....I read both.

tootie

I don't think anything will explode if you use vybar or UA in soy, but veggie waxes are different from paraffin and are reported to perform better with veggie based additives. Veggie waxes are akin to shortening and have different properties from paraffin.