Need help with Emulsified Scrub

I am pretty sure I found this recipe on this board. SHe doesn't mention water, so I am guessing you would just fill in whatever % was left with water?

Here are her suggestions:

50-60% oils

15-20% butters

5-10% Ewax

5-10% S. Acid

1% preservative

1-2% FO

Here is what I came up with for a 16 oz batch, since i am just experimenting right now:

50% oils 8 oz

15% butters 2.4 oz

5% E wax .8 oz

5% S. Acid .8 oz

.5% Preservative .1 oz Germall Plus (liquid, this is all I have on hand right now)

1% FO .2 (my scale doesn't do to the 100th oz)

23.5% water 3.8 oz

If this looks okay, then I will go ahead and try it, but if someone has suggestions, I am more than willing to take them. Or, if someone has a tried and true recipe that is not in the board (I looked several times) I would appreaciate it!

Thanks,

Steph

P.S. The instructions said to use sugars at oz per oz of scrub mix, so 16 oz of base to 16 oz of sugar.

ETA: I did find a few recipes in the archives that I will look at later.

No water is needed in a sugar scrub recipe. It will only dissolve the sugar.

If you're using other exfoliants (jojoba beads, apricot kernel meal, etc), you can use water in your recipe. It would come out more of a lotion with exfoliants to use in the shower after cleansing. But if you're using sugar or salt as your exfoliant, no water. :)

Thanks. I thought I had read that water would break the sugar down.

Steph

So why would you want to break the sugar down? :confused: I'm working on my first batch of emulsified scrub, and I didn't put any water in it. I'd say:

60% oils

20% butters

10% Ewax

7% S. Acid

1% preservative

2% FO

I think that's comparable to the recipe I used (not looking at it right now, so I don't know for sure). I did have 1% cetyl alcohol in mine, I remember that - so maybe 6% stearic and 1% cetyl alcohol.

Here's my particular sugar scrub recipe (in generalities); I usually make 500g batches (with 500g of sugar added at the end) which is approximately six (6) of the 4oz containers.

25% Cocoa Butter

10% Stearic Acid

8% Cetyl Alcohol

51% oils of your choice

3.5% Polysorbate 20

1.5% Fragrance

1% appropriate preservative of choice

Sugar at 100% of the above total

Makes a darn good, very firm scrub.

You will find that the sugar scrub will begin to "disintegrate" as soon as you introduce water to it, as in the shower or the bathtub--I dampen my skin then scoop out the scrub, thereby adding water to the scrub in my hand.

And please DO remember that the water introduced into the scrub container when scooping it out is reason to add the preservative.