Scratch vs. Bath & Body Bases

juliejak

I am a newbie here, and would like to thank you all for so much wonderful intell in one spot! I have been unable to locate an answer to this, and apologize if it is posted somewhere else.

I am learning to make everything from scratch. Do alot of you use wholesale bases for your lotions & body products? If so, why? What are the pluses for doing this? (besides the obvious answer....easier:cheesy2: )

Thank you again, you guys have really helped easy my fears of lotion venturing !:o

I've started out with bases because it's easier and a good way for me to get into making different things. I'm starting to branch out (working on my first batch of emulsified, from-scratch scrub!), and as I get more confident, I hope to do that with more things. I think making from scratch will give me a lot more flexibiltiy in terms of what I can make and the ability to customize a product more than I might be able to do with a base.

Thank you for you input! I bought the ingredients to begin from scratch AND a 5 lb tub of The Chemistry Store FBB. I thought I could practice my FO and Colorants with the base, as opposed to ruining my Scratch mix and crying the rest of the day!:cheesy2:

I just wondered if those of you who sell alot of product find it's cheaper in the long run to buy the base.

Thanks again! Julie

I can't speak for business/cost-wise, but one aspect of a base is that it is already challenge tested. Providing you only add appropriate color and scent, you won't need to send out the product to make sure it's properly preserved. As was also mentioned, it's easier for the beginner.

That said, I'm still making my mind up about bases. There are the obvious pros, but some cons are that you can't really tweak it, not without the possibility of ruining the original texture, etc. Another issue I have is that I feel like it's cheating (just my personal opinion). If I say I sell home made products, but am really using a base...well, is that really homemade? As a consumer myself, if someone advertises their products as homemade, then I learn they used a base (this has happened), I feel like a victim of false advertising. When it comes down to it, almost anyone can scent/color a base. This is probably controversial and I don't mean to offend anyone, just my personal opinion that bases do not equal homemade. On that same note, making your own products can be a great selling/advertising points, and possibly a way to stand out from the crowd.

Thank you for your very insightful opinion. I think it would be best for me to get the hang of scratch lotions/scrubs, so I can learn what all the ingredients do, and probably crash and burn a few times. I think it's easy to get overwhelmed when starting out and think....."hmmmmm lotion base" sounds alot easier, but you are right, it defeats my purpose.

Thanks again!:cool2:

I agree with what rwaromatics said. It would be easier to do a base as making lotions and the like properly is pretty labor intensive. And also having someone else do the challenge testing would be nice too!

And I do think it's not right to say something is "homemade" giving the idea that YOU made it when you didn't. If you are going to use a base, fine. but don't give and air that says you made it from scratch because you added FO and color. you don't have to say "made from a base" but don't make claims that you handcrafted it.

Well I don't make soap, so my shower gel is a base. Right now everything else is from scratch.

I personally think that it's a matter of priority and how much time you want to spend on some things. Right now I'd much rather buy a shower gel base then spend time to match batch after batch. But I will make mass quantities of lotion because I've got that (more) figured out.

It's ambition to want to make everything yourself, but it might be reality to use a couple of bases to help you (and your product line) along.

I started out with bases and am just now getting into emulsified stuff and making stuff from scratch. I like my base that I use, but I don't love it, so I will start playing with a simple lotion recipe until I find something that I love (as well as family and close friends). If I find that great recipe, I may have it challanged tested and get it out to the public.

Both ways have their pros and cons.

Steph

I have never thought the term "homemade" meant it was actually made by the person selling it but that it was a product that was made by "somebody's" hands and not by a big machine. So honestly, if you are getting a base from a small company that you know actually makes it by hand then in essence it is indeed homemade. That is just my thoughts though.

I don't have lotions as I only have body butters that I mix up myself...meaning the butter and oils that I mix together..not that I actually create the butters and oils :tongue2: so I don't work with lotions. However, if and when I do add lotions I would most likely use a base for a couple of reasons.

1. I am lazy.

2. I don't have the time or patience to create my own lotion base.

3. I am lazy.

4. As was mentioned, it is already challenge tested so less expense for me.

5. I am lazy.

6. Figuring out the math for preservatives really tries my patience. (I figured it out for my scrubs and that is my extent for now lol)

7. And did I mention, I was lazy??

I think it is a personal preference and I certainly would never ever look down on someone that chooses to use a base vs making their own. That is just ugly and God don't like ugly :P .

Anyways, it is up to you what you want to do and what you are comfortable with.

Angi

Just so you know I wasn't referring to anyone in particular lol :o So please don't think I was, however, you have to admit that soapers and bnb makers tend to get ugly with each other about the way we word things (ie, triple-scented, all natural...I could go on and on).

I was just pointing out that, in my opinion, homemade does not necessarily mean that the person selling was the actual one that made it themselves but it was homemade by someone else. In essence it is still homemade.

Say I purchased a gallon of your lotion that you whipped up by your own hand (unscented of course so I can add my own scent). Isn't it still homemade or does it miraculously become a machine made product because I was the one that didn't actually whip it up. No it doesn't. You made it by your very own hand and muscles whipping it up, I just happened to purchase it from you to scent and color because let's face it, I am lazy :P . It would still be homemade or handcrafted because you actually made it from scratch where as I just happened to purchase it.

Now, if I come across a lotion that the seller wants to say, oh yes, I did this myself in my kitchen and then I find out it is a base, I can see getting upset but not for the fact that it stated homemade, but for the fact they told me they did it themselves.

Am I making sense? It is still kind of early lol!

Angi

I make all my products from scratch because, I too, like to have control over the ingredients. I don't sell lotion but do make small quantities from scratch for my personal use. In my never-to-be-humble opinion, a product is NOT handmade if it is made from a base. Yes, you have added a fragrance, but that does not make it handmade because you did not make that base. If you tout your product made from a base as handmade, you are defrauding your customers.

Angi : So, in a nutshell you are saying

1) I need to figure out what works best for me & my schedule & pocketbook

2) and you are lazy:cheesy2:

Does that about sum it up??

Thanks again!

Yes! Do what is best for YOU! And it has been such a lazy day for me today I had to get the point across rofl...tomorrow won't be so lazy darnit!

Angi

Okay so newbie (newbie as in want to try but haven't yet since I am getting so mad at my soaps I dont want something else to get mad at too) to B&B question here...

WHAT IF. . .a person buys a concentrate and then adds water? I mean, I think that's mostly what you have to do with a concentrate. That is still considered a base, correct?

I think with these things its probably best to just put your logo on and list the benefits of the ingredients rather than saying it is handmade probably, although I had never thought about it before reading this post.

Also, what exactly IS challenge testing? What is the process, cost of that etc. Maybe someone can direct me to a link to research that? Thanks so much!

Cassie

I use a base for both of my lotions. My customers LOVE the one, and not too sure about the other one yet. I don't feel comfortable making lotion. I will try it someday, but not anytime soon :)

Hmm, you might change you mind about that if you received personal, hands-on guidance ;)

I will say this...I don't like making lotion much. I even confessed that in my tutorial. It is quite the pain in the hiney...There are days when I long for a base!

Yeh, it can be a PITA, especially when you try to do something stupid like make an 8oz batch for testing to "save" on ingredients LOL

I make lotion 2 ways: w/ Fusion Magic when I want to use it right away (cold emulsification, no waiting, less measuring) and the ewax/stearic method.

I would love a base. I looked for a base, but nothing ever measured up to what I had in mind for my lotion, so I bit the bullet, got a bug up my butt after a year, & just made what I wanted. I'm happy.

The only base I've ever used is M&P. Everything else I do is from scratch. But I don't sell to the general public, so making things from scratch is easy right now.

I think base vs scratch is a matter of how much time someone has. Scratch is definitely cheaper IMO, but more time consuming.

I use bases and main reason is that it already has preservatives. I like to know that even though I've tested it myself, I also don't have to wait months and months and months, EACH time I need to test a new recipe for the preservative breaking down.

It may be cost effective in the long run, but IMO - what if you make up a particular combination and it turns out to be a dud? You've lost not only the testing, but the money you spent having it tested (which can range quite expensively, depending on the various tests).

I also don't like to keep some of the raw materials around my house either. I'm not thrilled about the idea of lye being here with my two babies. I know some do it and they make it work wonderfully, but for me - I'm too scaredy cat that my kids or cats will get into it.

Another thing I thought about is depending on the raw ingredients, are banned in my home since I live on base and share walls with another tenant, so some chemicals are a no no.

Another reason, is that I never have to worry about forgetting whether I added X or Y ingredient, or measuring down and cutting it in such small amounts and the needs to be precise. I can make up 2 oz. of whatever I want, or 24, and only worry about cutting the FO to the proper amount.

I personally like SFIC bases for the soaps, and WSP for lotions/creams and body mists.

I make my sugar scrubs, lotion bars and lip balms from scratch, but I do not have the time or patience to make lotions or cream from scratch.

Somewhere long ago I believe I read a definition/opinion of the difference between handmade and handcrafted...maybe on the Indie Beauty Network or maybe not???? Think I even read a discussion here about this subject awhile back. Anyway...

Handmade = creating a product with raw materials from scratch

Handcrafted = using a base + color + fragrance etc...

That's basically how I term my products...if someone asks I explain it.

Somewhere long ago I believe I read a definition/opinion of the difference between handmade and handcrafted...maybe on the Indie Beauty Network or maybe not???? Think I even read a discussion here about this subject awhile back. Anyway...

Handmade = creating a product with raw materials from scratch

Handcrafted = using a base + color + fragrance etc...

That's basically how I term my products...if someone asks I explain it.

I rembember reading that as well. For the products I use bases for, I call them "Custom Scented" products. I've been toying with using the term "Handcrafted" though on a brochure I'm trying to create. For now it's "Your place for custom scented bath & body"....etc"