KY's Soy Whipped Body Cream? my first try

scentsme

I just got KY's Soy Whipped Body Cream & I'm going to start playing with it today & then begin testing. On their site it says to whip it using a hand mixer, etc...but to me, it looks & feels like I could use this right out of the jug. I love the consistency & feel & it doesn't look like mixing in FO would be difficult, as I only make small batches at a time, as products are ordered. Does anyone use this straight from the tub & NOT use a mixer? I'm pretty excited about this. I haven't tested a new product or base in a long time. Things are quieter & have settled down now that we've gotten thru all the major holidays from Nov-April, so I have the time to invest in testing now. Thanks for any help or opinions:smiley2:

:yay: Yes Yes Yes I use it straight from the jug, sometimes with FO and sometimes without, and absolutely LOVE this stuff.

Just curious: do you go the full "up to 3%" fo load? I think for a sample for myself, I'm going to try 3% right off the bat. But to test, I'll start at 1% & see how it goes.

Ok, I just made myself some using Daystar's Buttercream Frosting at 2% fo & it feels wonderful & there is plenty of scent, but there is this weird base smell coming through that I don't smell straight out of the jug? I can't put my finger on it. It almost smells like eggs? Hmmm? Anyone else get this?

I don't ever start at the maximum scent load because some fragrances will just make you wanna slap somebody they're so strong. I start at the minimum and see how that holds up and go up from there if necessary. Did I mention how much I love that stuff? :rolleyes2

I got a gallon of it about a month ago, and I love it, I use it straight, and I put a lot of scents in it. If I am just making a jar for myself, I may add a tsp or less of fragrance. I sent a jar to everyone in the soused swap and I just smelled an extra one I had and it is way stronger than when I mixed it. Kinda reminds me of crisco to look at, but goes in so good.

I continued to test it with 4 other scents, starting at 1% fo load & upping to 2.5% on 2 of them. (I only go straight to 3% for myself/my own personal use) & I'm still getting a sulphur/egg note coming through. I actually asked one of my usual testers what she thought, & she smelled it too. Could I have gotten an "off" batch? But I must say, I just love the feel & consistency of this stuff!

• 2 weeks later...

When I did use it a long time ago with their original recipe it was much better. They changed the recipe ever so slightly and I have never gone back to buying it. One thing I noticed is when you add the fo and mix it with beaters sometimes it wasn't noticeable that the scent was there and I had to let it sit for a few hours or days just to let it absorb. I had a hard time with vanilla but eventually it took.

KY's Cleopatra smelled great in it.

When I did use it a long time ago with their original recipe it was much better. They changed the recipe ever so slightly and I have never gone back to buying it. One thing I noticed is when you add the fo and mix it with beaters sometimes it wasn't noticeable that the scent was there and I had to let it sit for a few hours or days just to let it absorb. I had a hard time with vanilla but eventually it took.

KY's Cleopatra smelled great in it.

I'm still testing this stuff & although it feels incredible, I too am finding that I have to let many FO's cure for days in this base. & I'm still getting that undertone of an egg/sulphur kind of smell. Did they recently change thier formulation of this base? But I must admit that the texture & feel on the skin is the best!

If you are still having problems with the sulphur/egg smell, why don't you e-mail Vicky at KY and see what she says. Maybe she can help you out. Good luck.

Good idea, thanks for suggesting it. Maybe I can send her a little bit & let her take a sniff & see what she thinks. Thanks again. (but I really do love this stuff, otherwise)

No, the recipe hasn't changed as of lately but right after it came out there were some issues with mold and then it took a couple months to remake it all and when it was available it was not the same thing. This was about 2 years ago maybe?

I don't know about that odor but if it smells odd even after you add fo I would definitely call Vickie about it.

I've never smelled an egg smell to this base, I think you may just be one that picks up different smells and it could also be the FO.

I started using this base about a year and a half ago and have never looked back. It's the best out there, I LOVE it and my customers love it too! At that price you can't beat it...no pun intended:)

I use the hand mixer with mine because I think it helps the FO incorporate into the base better and you get a more fluffy appearance but that's just my preference.

This last batch I got seems to have a softer consistency that other batches I've gotten. It probably has more soy oil in it that usual, not sure but it's still great.

I tried the glaze and while I liked it I much preferred the whip.

Have fun with it, it's a great product!

Well, soy milk always has an 'offness' to it that is similar to what you're describing with this base, so I wonder if that's pretty common in soy products. We must have different noses than a lot of people and are picking up whatever that is.

Darbla