Are votives worth the trouble?

I've been making container candles and tarts for quite some time now, but am starting to think that I "might" be interested in trying votives.

I read over the basic instructions (which make it seem simple enough), but I've also read numerous "ranting" posts where people are just a few seconds from driving off a cliff because of the problems they incur from making these little guys.

So, are votives really worth the repour?

Would love to hear your succes and/or horror stories.

Oh, and do you think they would do well as Dye Free???

I am interested in trying out that new multiple votive mold that BC has...it's expensive tho., and it was OOS...which is prolly a good thing cause I would've ended up buying now-thinking about it later! lol!

I have a love hate relationship w/ votives, but just started taesting a new wax-a 50/50 votive, tart blend, and altough I did need a small repour, those suckers threw so well for me, I had to re-think them...at least for a few friends who mention liking them every now and again...:wink2:

I am interested in trying out that new multiple votive mold that BC has...it's expensive tho., and it was OOS...which is prolly a good thing cause I would've ended up buying now-thinking about it later! lol!

I have a love hate relationship w/ votives, but just started taesting a new wax-a 50/50 votive, tart blend, and altough I did need a small repour, those suckers threw so well for me, I had to re-think them...at least for a few friends who mention liking them every now and again...:wink2:

Just to let you know, the BC mold is back in stock, I ordered mine on Monday!

I hate repeating myself, but ... I'd never make a votive if I had to use the metal molds, but I love making the Dixie Cup votives. It's just too simple. We all find our groove & like what we like. Votives seem to be a supply & demand issue, so it seems to hinge on how well they sell in your area. For me, votives sell like crazy & I have a huge profit margin on them ... it almost seems like no matter how much I raise the price they never drop in sales. You didn't mention your wax, but I've always altered my container wax w/ a few additives to make votives, so it's not a huge financial headache to stock different waxes & do individual pours.

Susan.

I don't repour all my votives (EcoSoya PB, NatureWax C3 and Palm Wax). I know some folks do, but it just depends on whether it's a molded votive or one poured into the votive container and the shape of the mold... I TRY to avoid repours because I am lazy... I would rather take measures to prevent voids and dimples than to have to repour... Some folks like the rounded top, meniscus look, but that isn't real important to me... Guess it all depends upon what you are looking for in your votives... :)

I think so, but I just changed to selling mine by the dozen instead of singles. I don't sell a lot of stuff anyways, but individually packing the few votives I have were enough headache. I don't mind the repour, it was that durned packing. Now, I have... the box! And for some reason, people seemed more willing to pay higher prices when sold as a pack than individually. *shrug*

Yes, repour your votives, it looks unfinished if you don't. If you are going to do votives, do it all the way. I hate pouring votives actually. If you find that you dislike repours, do chunk votives, I've never needed to repour those and they are fun to make and burn.

I think so, but I just changed to selling mine by the dozen instead of singles. I don't sell a lot of stuff anyways, but individually packing the few votives I have were enough headache. I don't mind the repour, it was that durned packing. Now, I have... the box! And for some reason, people seemed more willing to pay higher prices when sold as a pack than individually. *shrug*

This sounds like it could work for me. I'm having a problem selling individual votives. The sets might work better. I'll have to check into packaging for that.

Votives were are bread and butter when we were retail however sales did drop when we went back to homebased. Gift boxes of votives for us always sell Mother's Day, Christmas etc. We do have a few retail customers that buy in boxes of 18, yes we let them mix and match.

We also have a few wholesale accounts that use our votives, they buy an intial display unit, either all votives or a combo of melts, t's and votives and restock by either the 9 pack or 18.

I like pouring votives, find they are easy and quick! However we do our pours at at least 8 lbs. per scent and stock them.

Wendy

I don't mind making them either. I use the metal molds and have used the EL soy, plain ol' paraffin and palm wax and don't have to re pour. They sell depending on the general economy around here. If people can afford the bigger they go that way otherwise they buy the small stuff like tarts and votives.

Only thing I can't stand is cleaning all those molds after each batch. Can't tell ya how many times I've sliced my fingers doing that.:tongue2:

Rebecca - if you have an electric griddle just turn the molds down on it and it melts out the wax then all they need is just a quick wipe.

They are a pain but I do sell quite a large number of them. What is really aggravating is when they order 1 of 50 different scents! I keep some made up but they always want what I don't have made.

I don't mind making them either. I use the metal molds and have used the EL soy, plain ol' paraffin and palm wax and don't have to re pour. They sell depending on the general economy around here. If people can afford the bigger they go that way otherwise they buy the small stuff like tarts and votives.

Only thing I can't stand is cleaning all those molds after each batch. Can't tell ya how many times I've sliced my fingers doing that.:tongue2:

We would slice our hands up all the time - then we started just using the turkey roaster or the oven to clean them. Turn them upside down on a paper towel covered cookie sheet - then put them in the oven on warm. The wax will melt right off. Sometimes, if I have used a dark color, I will check and make sure it has all come off. Otherwise, they are "good to go"!

I have about 50 of C&S used metal votive molds and I would never buy a new one. I hardly need and release and they come out great. Cleaning in the oven is really the was to go, who has the time to to wipe them all off?!

I just hate those stupid "lips" they get from the pour. The metal ones come out better than the plastic molds I've used, never tried silicone. But I dunno if anyone else has noticed, that those lips actually limit the votives can be put in. I have a standard wall light set and if I pour them in the metal, they don't fit.

I'd be ticked if I ordered votives and couldn't use them.

LOL....diving off a cliff..... LOL! That is exactly how I feel when pouring votives. I do not sell my creations, I just make candles as a hobby, so I mostly just stick to containers. I do have several votive candle holders, so I make them for that purpose. All goes well until the repour......I can never get the metal mold filled just right and I ALWAYS end up making a mess. They burn well but the tops either have the lip from the mold or they just look messy! I enjoy pouring them, I just wish I could make them look more professional!

I just hate those stupid "lips" they get from the pour. The metal ones come out better than the plastic molds I've used, never tried silicone. But I dunno if anyone else has noticed, that those lips actually limit the votives can be put in. I have a standard wall light set and if I pour them in the metal, they don't fit.

I SOOOOO agree with you, Miss Mary. I have found some molds that don't have as MUCH of a lip (they were described as straight, but...). Only solution is to underfill them...:undecided but then they are shorter...

Because I burn most of the loose votives I make myself, I have gotten peeved and just CRAMMED them in anyway, cracking the votive, etc. Ugly, yes, but they still burn. When I use bathroom cups, no way those big 'uns are going into standard votive holders! Squares and octogons don't fit snugly into anything I can find either...:undecided

The loose ones I make to sell are molded to fit into the glass flowerpot votive holders we sell. We also make ones that we pour directly into their containers, so no worries there...

I've just decided to stop making votives. I think my votives burn great, great throw, etc...but it seems the people around here have NO idea how to burn one. They think they're little pillar candles and wonder why it created a huge puddle of wax on their counter...

I just don't want to deal with the liability anymore, plus I don't enjoy making them so poof! No more votives for me!!