Success in the eye of the beholder? Input plz

Hi all :)

well, for my foray into candle making i used almost my whole 25# of 4627 into 8oz JJ without a perfect (to me) burn. I have so many wicks now of so many types and sizes lol. As this jar was recommended to me as a great, easy first container I was quite disappointed!

On a whim, I picked up some of the 12 oz Libby square cubes at Dollar Tree. (I was never fond of the jj) These were nice, cheap, and kinda classy looking!

I thought, are you NUTS? Not only are they square, you'll need to double wick, and you can't even SINGLE wick successfully!.

Ok, enough history.

On this first candle, I had hangup in the corners and a little bit on the sides almost the whole burn cycle. However, by the time it was 3/4 gone, the rest melted down and now I have no hangup, no smoke, no soot, etc.

Not knowing any better, I feel happy that it turned out so well in the end. But is it ok that it took so long to get there?

I still have a lot of testing to do, just wondering if I am on the right track or if I should wick up. I think if I do, I will get smoke and soot....but again, who knows?

Input appreciated!

Thanks

Dana

My first response is to say you probably did just fine as long as the hangup on the sides caught up.

My second thought is to ask..... were you doing burns for a few hour cycles or doing marathon power burns? If your hangup was cleaned off without doing marathon burns then I still think you're fine. If not you may want to think about wicking up but I'd also say others will/may advise you differently. Opinions may vary. :wink2:

When I test I try to optimize so that burning for 2-3 hours at a time gets all the hangup cleaned off by 1/2 to 2/3 of the way down. I didn't always use to design for that! LOL :rolleyes2

I burn for 3 hours at a time.

My next pour I'm going to pour one with the same wicking and then wick up one....I know I'll get a better burn wicking up, but prob smoke/soot or at least that has been my experience so far with this wax!

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it!

dana

Thanks! I have had SUCH a time trying to wick successfully......! And I am such a perfectionist.

New goodies and containers arrive today (including my gglow!) woot!

I'm getting brave! :P

Thanks to all here, you are so helpful and encouraging!

dana