Any old crochet fanatics?

kandlekrazy

I seem to have lost my old pattern for an afghan using what was called an "afghan stitch, and since I can't seem to remember how to do the stitch...really lost. I've searched the yarn sites but all that comes up is a million afghan patterns, none with this stitch.

It is made on a long hook where you keep stitches on the hook one round and crochet them off the next round which gives you a look much like something knit. Still have my hooks and that's what made me want to make another!:(

I have these directions printed somewhere in my stash so I'll have to look for it but if you type in tunisan crochet in your search you should be able to come up with it. It is either the same or very similar to the afghan stitch (I can't remember if it is another name for the afghan stitch or not). I've never done this stitch myself but have a graph of a gymnast that I want to do for my niece and just never got around to learning how to do the stitch. I will look for my info as well as it is very informative on how to do the stitch. You can also join www.crochetville.org and there are a lot of very helpful people on there that can lead you in many directions (careful..this site is addicting)

Oooohhh...that is a neat stitch! Where in the world do you get crochet hooks long enough to do that??

I want to learn the filet stitch....my MIL was trying to describe it to me yesterday.

Cuz, you know.....I don't have enough hobbies with the soaping and candles and lotions...ROFL

Donna

oohh.. I love a good crochet pattern. Though finding gumtion to do one is hard in a Texas summer. One of my favorite pattern sites is www.freepatterns.com theres some really neat stuff on there.

I have a pretty brown lacy ombre blankie waiting to be finished, I just get so frustrated when the instructions for some of these stitches are clear as mud or in practice make no sense. Though I did whip up a ripples blankie in mint and white for my first niece, I just couldn't not spoil her.

Filet work is pretty easy, I have a few old doilies I've done in it floating around on our side tables, though working with that tiny #10 kills my hands and wrists after a while.

Don't feel bad about having tons of hobbies Donna, I crochet, attempt to knit (I'm left handed and it never comes out right, but I keep trying), cross stitch, make jewelry, quilt, sew, do paper filigree, along with my candles, my start at soaping and now I'm waiting for my order to start B&B stuff... first up are scrubs and lip balm from scratch...

My hubby calls me infinitely creative, but I call myself left handed (thus right brained) and a Gemini.

tunisan crochet were the exact right words to search with...thanks again, you have no idea how long I searched before posting here!!

As for the long hooks, mine is at least 30 years old. I know they have them in yarn shops, but maybe Michael's would have them as well.

tunisan crochet were the exact right words to search with...thanks again, you have no idea how long I searched before posting here!!

As for the long hooks, mine is at least 30 years old. I know they have them in yarn shops, but maybe Michael's would have them as well.

I think I bought my long hook (hook on both ends) at Wal-Mart.