salt scrub

Callmaker

Do yall not find it a little expensive to make the salt scrub? I am having a hard time setting the price. I don't want to ask to much and not get them sold. I realize all areas are different as far as pricing but I am a little concerned about it. maybe I just need to recalculate the cost that I have in it. maybe I did something wrong with the figures. Are yall having this problem?

If your costs don't justify your price, then I'd reformulate to see if I could lower my costs. There are some nice oils that can be used that don't cost so much that you could change. If you are using lots of exotic salts, cut the amount and sub in some cheaper salt.

Since this is not a leave-on product, you don't have to use costly ingredients. A nice inexpensive oil and regular sea salt (I buy mine from the grocery store) work nicely. I find that folks don't really care if there are "exotic" ingredients as long as it works well for them.

I think I am going to take your advice queen...Thanks alot. I really love the salt scrubs, makes you so soft. I have a habit of leaving mine in the kitchen window and in the evening when I use it,,,,it is warm and nice...of course, there are preservatives in it...just to be safe..

I know this will sound really bad to some of you, but in the emulsified scrubs that I make just for myself I use lard,vegetable shortening (hydrogenated soy), coconut oil, castor and rice bran oil. Inexpensive and leaves your skin feeling AMAZING. Lard isn't so great for label appeal, but wow does it feel nice. I also skip the salt, as it burns the heck out of my freshly shaven skin and use regular sugar.

I know this will sound really bad to some of you, but in the emulsified scrubs that I make just for myself I use lard,vegetable shortening (hydrogenated soy), coconut oil, castor and rice bran oil. Inexpensive and leaves your skin feeling AMAZING. Lard isn't so great for label appeal, but wow does it feel nice. I also skip the salt, as it burns the heck out of my freshly shaven skin and use regular sugar.

Hey, nothing wrong with lard! I've made a really nice lotion with it.

Queen you said that you use lard in your lotion. Does it make it too greasy or stiffy...I think I would like to incorporate it in mine. The only lotion I have made actually is the whipped body lotion. I would like to make one that pumps out of a bottle.

Callmaker, no the sugar isn't sticky at all. I have tried a lotion with lard and one with deer tallow and both were lovely, not greasy at all. Smooth a bit of plain ole lard on your arm or leg, it actually sinks in quicker for me than Shea does. And the lard and shortening whip up really nice and fluffy. I would love to incorporate it in the lotions I sell but it makes people :timeout: . Well, except for the men... they think it makes it all the more manly and would love it if I actually put bacon grease in there. Hmmm.. the leftover chunks of bacon may make a great exfoliant! <off to the kitchen to formulate>

Queen you said that you use lard in your lotion. Does it make it too greasy or stiffy...I think I would like to incorporate it in mine. The only lotion I have made actually is the whipped body lotion. I would like to make one that pumps out of a bottle.

Nope, sugar doesn't make the scrub sticky at all, it makes it WUNNERFUL.

Yep, the lard is a nice lotion ingredient that doesn't make it greasy or stiff. Think coconut oil as it's about the same consistency. Just give it a try; you may have to tweak the percentage to get it the way you like it, but it makes a nice lotion. Don't think you'll have any problem with it pumping out of a bottle.

Frankly, I was a bit taken aback when I first heard of making lotion with lard but after trying it it's just not bad at all.

Go for it!

Yeah Queen give me a recipe for lotion with lard, LOL I am not at all experienced here. When you say tweak, I say What do I have to tweak but other peoples knowledge, I don't have any on this, hahahahahahhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaa