Invisible Sink Holes/Airpockets

While I was doing a lot of testing with different fragrances, I would get the circular hairline crack going around the wicks in a 2 inch diameter or slightly less. I usually just take the heat gun and zap the top to take care of that and never had a burn problem (never had a hole open up -- tunneling). Not to long ago, I had a couple candles tunnel near the wick (a sink hole/air pocket opened up) and swallowed up the wick (flame ate it). Since then, even though I can take the gun to fix the circular crack, I am afraid that there may be an airpocket underneath that will appear after the candle is lit and cause tunneling. This is not a good thing.

Lately I have been busy making candles for a small inventory and when I make final candles with the wicks adhered I have less trouble with the circular cracking. I have several candles that have very nice tops but I am worried that an airpocket may be underneath -- can't see it like an open sink whole at the top. I am torn because since I do not have to take the gun to fix the top, if I poke holes and take the gun to it then the tops are not a perfect. If I don't, there could be a hidden pocket. How can I be sure other then messing with the top?

Have any of you had pretty tops right after the candles sets up but then when lit a hole appears? I just have to get this to work since I have worked so hard. :undecided

Personally I just use my x-ray vision, but if I didn't have superpowers it would break my heart to gouge perfect tops looking for pesky air pockets. At least if you screw with all the tops your candles will have a consistent finish, LOL.

That circular crack and the cavity near the wick do seem to go hand in hand don't they? I have the impression that waxes that get one also get the other, and often simultaneously. We've certainly seen that with unmodified EcoSoya CBA2.

So even if the cracking were happening only now and then I wouldn't feel comfortable because maybe something is also happening once in a while that I can't see. If you can find a solution that prevents the cracking from ever happening then maybe you could feel more confident about no air pockets too.