Glass?

After working for over a month, I have finally succeeded with wicking 8oz jj's using 4627 and various assorted FO's. I have also solved the great mystery of giant wick craters. (:yay:) But here's my problem. I want to change my glass. ARGH! Yeah, I know. JJ's are (CHEAP!) and great for my friends and family and for newbie testing the price can't be beat, but I really want a contemporary style. (I think)

I've half-way tested 12.5oz status jars with marginal success. (I bought 6 dozen on sale in the beginning.) They do need more work, but I think I have the perfect wick figured out, I just need to test it next time I have my presto out. My question is this... when you think of a contemporary style, what do you have in mind and if you actively seek that style in glass, what do you look for? I have a libbey glass outlet in town that I get really great discounts from, so I'd prefer something I could get from them locally and just load in the back of my pickup. I can get my status jars, both 12.5 and 7.5oz from them but I'm thinking about tumblers. Does anyone use these, and what success have you had? Could jj's be considered even remotely contemporary? (Okay, I guess not, but it was worth a shot, the price is right.)

I love the country look, but love the contemporary look as well... I'm torn.

After working for over a month, I have finally succeeded with wicking 8oz jj's using 4627 and various assorted FO's. I have also solved the great mystery of giant wick craters. (:yay:) But here's my problem. I want to change my glass. ARGH! Yeah, I know. JJ's are (CHEAP!) and great for my friends and family and for newbie testing the price can't be beat, but I really want a contemporary style. (I think)

I've half-way tested 12.5oz status jars with marginal success. (I bought 6 dozen on sale in the beginning.) They do need more work, but I think I have the perfect wick figured out, I just need to test it next time I have my presto out. My question is this... when you think of a contemporary style, what do you have in mind and if you actively seek that style in glass, what do you look for? I have a libbey glass outlet in town that I get really great discounts from, so I'd prefer something I could get from them locally and just load in the back of my pickup. I can get my status jars, both 12.5 and 7.5oz from them but I'm thinking about tumblers. Does anyone use these, and what success have you had? Could jj's be considered even remotely contemporary? (Okay, I guess not, but it was worth a shot, the price is right.)

I love the country look, but love the contemporary look as well... I'm torn.

Are you planning on selling them? If so, it doesn't really make too much difference whether you like contemporary or country or a specific jar. What the market arounds you wants is what's important. Try making some of each and see which sells better. That may decide for you. JMO

Hey Grumpy,we are neighbors.I live in Joaquin,Tx.Shreveport is my home.I go to the Libby's outlet sometimes.What does the status jar look like.I think the apoth is comtemporary.I get my jars from Gladewater,Tx.

Anna

Howdy neighbor! :wave:

The only example I could find was on a container site listed below. They called it a metro jar, but it looks just like the same thing I'm using. I've also looked at the rectangular glass jars, but they're a bit spendy for me right now, even though they are really cool looking.

I was trying to stay away from the yankmee style jars, but I have seen a few classics in the past month I'd consider going to that were kinda neat.

Don't you love Libbey's?

Where in Gladewater do you get your jars from? It might be worth a trip once I get out of this blasted wheelchair.

12OZ_METRO_JAR_WITH_FLAT_LID.jpg

That is a pretty jar,did you get these at Libby's.If you don't mind me asking,what did you pay for them?

WixnWax is the supplier I use in Gladewater,they have some great fo's.They are betweem Longview and Gladewater on Hwy 80.I get my wax in Shreveport.You mention using 4627,I hate that wax,never could get it wick right.

Anna

I did get them at Libby's. I think I paid $61 for 6 dozen not counting the lids. I didn't think it was too bad, especially since I don't have to pay shipping, and they carry them all the time. I saw some apoth. jars there, but like I said, I was avoiding them like the plague.

I found the candle supply shop in Shreveport last month, but they've sold out of all their wax at the moment as well as most of their FO's. I'm trying to sweet talk Gerry into carrying the 4627 and 4794 to save me on shipping. They still don't have their wax in, so I don't know if they will or not. I did help talk them into getting HTP and LX wicks though. But now I hear rumors that they're thinking about moving their business to E. Texas so I may have to drive a bit to get what I want. PLEASE, don't tell me about any great smelling, close to the house, new FO's... I've decided I'm a FO ho and avid collector. :grin2:

4627 is a bugger to wick, but I guess I could have had it worse than what I did for the 8oz jj's, and I'm still testing the status jars but I'm hard-headed.

Satin, you're right about letting the area dictate my style, but after some of the things I've seen people do around here, I'm a bit scared. I began this venture/hobby with the end in mind. So yeah, eventually I'll sell. Where or when is beyond me however. I thought it better to build my brand based on quality but at the same time I'd like to build the image without changing it down the road.

Hi Grumpy,

I think you are on the right "wave length" with your jars if you are looking for a contemporary candle. No, sorry, you can't use a JJ if you are wanting a contemp look. There is an alternative. You could go with the 8.5 oz tumbler ( Votivo style ) They are very reasonable and almost every supplier carries them. The challenge is they have no lids, but you can get the "seals" for them at Taylored Concepts. ( very reasonable )

They are great to start with.

HTH

Michael

Hey, that's a great idea Michael, thanks.

I've bought Diptyque before, and my best friend buys the Votivo, so I've seen them, but I went ahead and ordered one tonight just to get a better idea of the style. I'll call it a "market testing" expense, yeah, that's it.

I could see me spending some serious money at Taylored Concepts. Good thing it's a 3 hour drive away! They only do pick-up, right?

(please don't tell me they ship, please don't tell me they ship, please don't...)