CP FO suspected seizers

Vio

OK I don't know if this question will be easily understood or not so bear with me please.

Are there possible variables that make some fo's seize in cold process soaping? Like possibly too little water ratio or even if the fo was added with oils when lye was added, instead of after trace? Which is better to do with a known seizer, if you dare to try, adding with oils or waiting until after? Can the point you add the seizer, change how far it will seize possibly?

Could it possibly be the hard oils that react or something? Like possibly adding more soft oils, would that lessen the reaction?

Maybe this isn't what you're looking for, but:

Florals are known to accelerate quickly, so low temps are suggested. In addition, cool temps seem to help and no water reduction. So if you soap something for a first time (floral or not) and you don't know how it will react, don't discount the water.

Soaping too hot will cause a lot of movement in your oils.

What was suggested on here and has worked for me (except for oils that are going to brown regardless) is adding the fragrance when the melted oils are combined. I used to wait till after the lye met the oils and did its thing, but sometimes things just really moved faster than I needed.

Adding anything to stop a seize I don't think is quite possible. Seems the chemical makeup of the fragrance is too much of an unknown. You probably haven't made enough soap or florals to see this yet, but you could probably take 2-4 different lilacs and see how they react. For some, lilac doesn't always behave.

Thank you very, very much Scented! That gives me a hint of how to think with these. I knew to expect seizing with florals as I've seen it mentioned, but didn't know what to do to possibly prevent it as much as possible. That helps a ton thank you! :bow:

And sometimes when an oil starts acting weird, just stir, stir, stir and stir, stir, stir and stir, stir, stir some more. It may mellow out. Course if you can't move what you're stirring with ... stop. Then go talk with E about rebatching lol.

My oils are cooling now. My second batch of the night. And with an hour less sleep too. Boy am I gonna regret this later on when I get up to make the promised pancakes and sausage for the family!!! :laugh2:

I think I can, I think I can, I think I can. ;)

Well I'm happy to report there were no seizures in my ocean tonight!! :yay::bliss:

Thank you E and Scented! I did as you said E, and only did regular water and also did as you said Scented and whipped it good. When I added the lye it did have a little bit of a strange texture look to it but I beat it into submission. I'd say it's a mover, but it didn't rice or seize on me!!!! :yay:

Took a while to trace enough to swirl too. I could have used my squeeze bottle with it. I was ready though, in case it moved too fast. I think if you're not ready, yes it could be a mess if you aren't sure it's one to approach with caution. Less water, like 33% fixed, I could see there would have been a problem.

Thank you!!! :bow:

I HAVE CONQUERED PEAK'S OCEAN!!!!!! *roar*

It's seized and/or riced for me every time I've tried to soap it so I had given up. I'm very impatient and usually tend to soap hot, so maybe I need to try again with cooler temps and be a little more patient and use a whisk... I do LOVE that scent. It;s one of my personal favorites. :)

I'm glad you had some luck.