JS 50/50 mix

• 1 year later...

Hmmmmmm....... not too many people seem to be using this, based on the dearth of questions about it. I did a search and came up mostly with the 50/50 that is for containers. Any more experiences to report on this votive blend now? Did you get around to trying it, Dolphin146? If so, did you make melts or votives?

Wonderful since I'm about to test some! :D

What kind of dye do you use? I know soy takes dye differently, so I'm going to have to up the drops I've been using in IGI 4794.

For wicks I'm going to start with LX-12s. Those are a little hotter than LX-10s that a lot of people have recommended in IGI 4794, and I know I need to wick up for the soy.

What is the max drops of dye you've tried? I'm wanting to make black with a reddish tint and not sure how many drops would be too many for this wax. I've used up to 20 drops per pound in my previous wax.

Also did either of you find that votives had better throw after a cure time?

I just tried 10 drops black to 5 drops blue (yes, I changed from the red I mentioned earlier) in half a pound of wax, and it's not nearly dark enough. It dawned on me afterward that my drops are probably not as big as other people's drops. I'm using the "tip of toothpick" method. Will try more another day.

I made test batches of

'Sea Lavender' - Chemessence

'Green Tea & Lemongrass' - Candle Science

'Black Currant & Nectarine' - Candle Science

half 'Patchouli' + half 'Lavender' - Peak

1/2 oz FO in 1/2 pound of wax

Wonderful since I'm about to test some! :D

What kind of dye do you use? I know soy takes dye differently, so I'm going to have to up the drops I've been using in IGI 4794.

For wicks I'm going to start with LX-12s. Those are a little hotter than LX-10s that a lot of people have recommended in IGI 4794, and I know I need to wick up for the soy.

I've used JS 5050 votive and container since they came out and love them. I was using IGI 4794 with zinc wicks prior to the JS5050 and didn't have to change wicks at all since it's not pure soy. In the past couple of years I have changed to Ultra Wicks from Fil Tec. I do let all my candles cure for a couple of days....but I may get candle nose after pouring big batches cause my DIL has burnt them when barely cooled throughout and she gets great scent throw.

I have used the 50/50 and really liked liked it alot and would switch in a heart beat. The only reason why I will not do it is because the shipping is about 12 bucks a case higher from the Fedex list rate. What comes up 20 she is charging 32 and change. I just can't do that. A dollar or two I can swallow but not 12.

I went back and checked and she did come down on the Fedex rates alittle, now shipping is $24.70. Fedex list price at 52 lbs to a residence is $20.74 (my rate if I used my Fedex account would only be $17.01 but she will not do that.)

Becky only charges you what FED EX charges her....no added fees. Also, I had asked about using my Fed Ex account# and she said she used to offer it but FED EX 99 times out of a 100 would charge her and the customer....then she'd have to look up the customer's account # again ..then follow up to make sure FED EX credited her etc....too much hassle for her.

FED EX started really screwing up with deliveries to our shop...changed from getting stuff at 9am to around 4:30....we found out the drivers aren't actually FED EX employees (ground deliveries) they are 3rd party drivers so it doesn't matter how much money you save if your customers can't get what they order for the next business morning like you can with UPS (unless I want to pay early am next day air prices for what UPS charges me ground)!!!

I never gave her the chance after I emailed her about it so I couldn’t tell you. I ordered samples and loved it a while back, when I went back to order cases and saw the outrageous shipping difference I emailed her letting her know about it. She told me her shipping calculator was correct and she was live with FedEx current rates. She said if she had to go back and refund the difference on every order that was overcharged she would have to employee more people just to do that, which intern cause her to raise her prices to pay their salary. So basically she told me shipping is what it is and the amount in the cart says is what I would be billed. So with that being said I never ordered the cases of wax and never will.

I still order fragrances and that is only a dollar or two more than list rate but I can live with it. I figure maybe she is covering the cost of the packaging material. But to charge that much more to slap a sticker on a box of wax is ridiculous.

Does anyone else carry this wax?

From what I understand that is a JS formulation.

$12 is a lot....can't blame you one bit. Being so far away and LA having the highest delivery cost (no one can tell me why but I've heard that from at least 3 suppliers) I have to order 4 cases at a time to get the reduced shipping cost over 200 pounds. If I had the room to store it I would buy a pallet and use motor freight.