C-3 Fatal Flaw?

So I went back to soy testing this weekend and was particularly excited to check out the C-3 in comparison to the EcoSoyas I'd started messing with previously.

While I planned to put the C-3 through a full round of testing, I'm a little more than halfway tempted to save some time and eliminate it early due to its 125-130F melt point. With wicks of human proportions it likes to make crappy melt pools and tunnel. It has some good qualities but nothing standout enough to have to bother with that.

I'm guessing the adherents of this wax are fond of skinny containers and/or don't mind wicking with blowtorches to melt it out to 3 inches. Perhaps the ideal wax for a soy version of the 7 day votive candle.

Am I wrong??

What size wick are you using???

I use a cd 12 in in 8oz jj and a cd 18 in in a 16 oz jelly jar.

No problem with it being a blowtourch. It burns nicely.

You had said you got your wax from candlescience???

I got my c-3 from 2 different companies and the wax looked completely different from one another. So maybe that is what is going on??

This could be why the waxes are alittle different.. Just a thought.

Here is a link saying that if a retailer uses 80% or more naturewax, then they qualify to use naturewax brand mark on consumer packaging.

http://www.cargill.com/products/industrial/ps_nature_wax_retailers.htm

I'm not sure we're necessarily getting different results. By the time you get to the widest part of your pint mason you're enclosed in glass with a slightly constricted opening. It's not going to be as hard to get a satisfactory melt pool. You may not have a CD big enough to wick an 8oz tin though. I'll probably be using LX but right now I'm testing with ECO and it looks as though a 14 would be necessary for that. The NGI waxes make it easy.

It is so weird how we all get different results. I found from the few C-3's that I tested that it was easier to melt than the CB-3 Calsoy. It may have a higher meltpoint than the CB-3 but it burns easier. However, I do double wick, but I also double wick with the CB-3. I found the the C-3 burned off the sides better than the CB-3. Not that the CB-3 gets bad hang-up exactly -- it just leaves more residue than the C-3. My jars have corners and they are hard to get with a wax that takes a lot of energy to burn.

Top, I sure enjoy your posts. :) They are very informative. What you said about the difference between the jars made a lot of sense.

A few final thoughts on C-3 (and I do mean final because I've decided not to test it further).

For those familiar with EcoSoya container waxes, the C-3 formulation is apparently very much in the same family as CB-Pure Soy. In initial production, the Pure Soy seems slightly more prone to frost but the C-3 is a little prone to hairline cracks (not open cracks, just threadlike semicircular blemishes). When you nail the technique and luck is with you, the results from the two waxes are very similar. Pure Soy tends to set up like spongy snot after a burn and initially I thought C-3 sets up smoother, but surprisingly they traded places after the second burn and the C-3 had the same spongy snot look while the Pure Soy set up kinda smooth.

I only got as far as making 8oz tins so I can't address the matter of wet spots or set up issues in different container types, but in preliminary testing the only dramatic difference between the C-3 and Pure Soy was the distinctly crummier burn of the C-3. I suspect anyone accustomed to C-3 could get aesthetically similar results from CB-Pure Soy with a better burn and reduced wicking hassles.

I am again struck by the aesthetic magnifiicence of EcoSoya CB-Advanced. Probably most of you won't want to use it because it's not known for its ability to generate maximum levels of FO fumes, but hands down CBA produces the prettiest soy container you can get, plus wicking is a snap. I might worry about shipping in hot weather though.

I think I have a renewed respect for NGI products. What I'm going to do is get a bag of CB-135 for comparison and then choose between one of the EcoSoya container waxes. If anyone wants my Cargill or Candlewic stuff to play with just drop me a line.

I am again struck by the aesthetic magnifiicence of EcoSoya CB-Advanced. Probably most of you won't want to use it because it's not known for its ability to generate maximum levels of FO fumes, but hands down CBA produces the prettiest soy container you can get, plus wicking is a snap. I might worry about shipping in hot weather though.

Yes, why can't we have both beauty and scent throw. Not to throw another soy wax in this thread, but I tested the KY-125 once (need to test more) and I find it very pretty and it had a great throw with the scent I used. I am not sure how great the throw will be precentage wise if I try many other oils. Maybe it would be one with beauty and scent throw, who knows. :P

Do you think any soys are ok to ship in the summer. I am concerned about this. :confused:
I'm pretty new to the soy side so I have no personal experience shipping soy candles. It's a good question though and you might want to consider starting a thread if it hasn't been discussed before. We should have a fair number of people here who can shed light on it.

In my testing of the Ecosoya waxes they had a much better scent throw than the Cargill C-3. I asked for a sample of the C-3 and they sent me a 50 lb box of it. I use it a cup at a time to throw in my 1343 for dipping bears.

Thanks Scent Cellar for your opinion. I have not tested either extensively enough to know for sure. I have a couple of candles made with the Cargill C-3 and the cold throw is really good. It had a good hot throw with the Blueberry Verbena, but not quite as good as the Calsoy CB-3 for the Country Grove. I have not burned the Eco 135 yet -- to me the cold throw did not seem as strong as the C-3 cold throw (Blueberry Verbena). I may try them more just to satisfy my curiosity.

Do you find that the EcoSoya 120 and 135 have as good a scent throw as the C-3 Cargill or better? I have not tried the advance Eco. Thanks!
After burn testing I was going to make additional containers to put away to cure and then do some scent throw testing. The C-3 didn't make it that far so I don't know the answer. After pouring so many tins with the same scent this weekend, plus burning different waxes simultaneously, I really couldn't tell.

I've never had a problem shipping C-3 soy candles during the summer. Just make sure to ship on a Monday so they don't sit in a hot warehouse all weekend. I've shipped all over the US and never had a problem even with the summer we just finished up with! I've shipped to FL and CA in High summer with no melting problems what so ever. All UPS Ground.

I've never had a problem shipping C-3 soy candles during the summer. Just make sure to ship on a Monday so they don't sit in a hot warehouse all weekend. I've shipped all over the US and never had a problem even with the summer we just finished up with! I've shipped to FL and CA in High summer with no melting problems what so ever. All UPS Ground.
Thanks. I wouldn't worry so much about C-3 though. Prob with that one is that it doesn't melt. :) Something like EcoSoya-CBA2 would concern me a lot more.

I find the C-3 to melt SOOOO much easier than the Ez Soy!!

I wicked down 2 sizes with the C-3.

I know your were testing tins, but I find this is an easier soy to get a melt pool with than some of the other soys?? :cool2:

I don't think your observations contradict anything. I started off with the EcoSoyas, which have lower MPs than either C-3 or EZ-Soy. Both of those are higher than I'm used to at this point. Higher than the CB-135 I just ordered too.

One thing I can tell you is that there's no soy easier than CBA2 as far as melting goes. Still needs a beefy wick because it's thick, but getting a full melt pool is a snap.

The very last thing I did with C-3 was to wick it with ECO 14 in hopes of seeing a full melt pool in the tin at least once. That worked but also got me a dancing flame and puffs of soot. It's just hard to see choosing C-3 over CB-Pure Soy considering the latter is similar but better.

At this point I'll stop testing until the CB-135 arrives. I expect to be choosing from among the EcoSoya options. Next round of tests will include scent throw and glass adhesion.