Salt Bars

ladysj

Okay I am curious/confused here. Looking at everyone's salt bars they look so nice and smooth almost polished. I made a small batch and mine don't have a smooth looking finish. I tried polishing with a damp cloth but they still don't look as nice and smooth as the one's posted on here.

Could it maybe be that I didn't get my salt mixed in well enough? I believe I used uniodized salt it's been a while since I made them and completely forgot about them because I wasn't pleased with their looks.

I've used both iodized and uniodized (both either Morton's or the store brand). I've not tried sea salt.

I think a lot of the crumblies are due to when you cut them. For me, I start cutting about 1 - 1 1/2 hours after I pour. (I don't put them on the oven, or cover them....just leave the mold on the counter.) If it's slightly firm when I touch it, I cut it. Then you need to recut it every 1/2 hour to an hour....in case the cut lines get mooshed back together. And as soon as they are set up enough so that you can pull them out and separate them, do that.....even if they are HOT still....and that's the time to bevel them if you are going to. Wear gloves.

I still have no idea how people do them in log molds....not something I want to try.

Donna