dumb newbie question

I've read where some of you burn your candles for a certain amount of time to test them. How long are you supposed to burn each type (pillar, votive, container...) to judge whether or not they are good or right?

Oh, and a doh! question... I have a metal mold that I tried to make a hurricane out of. Well, it wouldn't come out so I had to destroy it to get it out. I used a (gasp!) butter knife to pry it out... and now I have gouges in the mold... can I sand the inside with sandpaper to smooth it or just throw it away and get another one, never to use a metal instrument on a metal mold again?

Thanks!!!

As a general rule, a four hour burn is necessary. A container should have a full melt pool to the sides and ab 3/8 inch deep in 4 hours, and it would be considered properly wicked IMO. Pillars would be about the same time, making sure the MP does not "blow out" the side of the pillar.

On the 'cane, is it a sheet metal mold or seamless aluminum? What kind of wax did you use? You may try putting the 'cane in the freezer for no more than five minutes and it should slide out.

HTH :grin2:

Ok, thanks for the info!

The hurricane was IGI 1014 in a seamless aluminum mold. I tried the fridge, the freezer, 5 minutes, 10 minutes, 20 minutes, half an hour, tapping the sides softly, roughly, and finally banging the living snot out of it on the countertop. Got a few cracks that way... but it STILL didn't unstick at ALL. So, I used the knife and had to take a break when my arm got tired of pushing the knife between the wax and the mold... that baby was STUCK! I made two more today, using Pam cooking spray, and they came right out... lesson learned.. (but they still don't look very good)

Gor containers, i have to say from experience, you should test all the way down,,, many times 1/2 way down the jar i have had trouble with wicks drowning out or in some cases major flames... most drowning though and not staying lit in some case... i always burn all the way down..it may burn great, for 1st 4 to 5 burns and bomb out midway thru...

The 3 to 4 hr rule is per burn. Very loosly, it's an hr per inch of diameter. Yup, you need to do it several times and finish it off.

As for the hurricane, in my limited experience, be patient. Sometimes they just wont come out until they're dang good and ready. And if one is stuck that you're determined to get out no matter what, melt it. No metal crowbars :grin2:

..... as far as your mold is concerned, if the "gouges" are not too bad, you can sand them out with a very fine sandpaper. I have done the same thing and was able to sand out the scratches. I would, however, reserve that mold for rustic, or candles, that you don't want a very smooth, shiny finish, as there can be a few rough spots.