air freshener fragrance opinion

chiptooth

Not sure if I'd get more answers here or off topic or the fragrance secion so mods feel free to move if you think this would be asked better in a different section. I am contemplating setting up at our town's very large 4th of July arts, crafts, and food festival. Crowds are usually estimated at 40,00.00 + for the 3 days. I am planning on taking my hurricane candles, tea lights, and wax bears. I am planning on offering the aroma bead ornaments, fragrant hot pads and sachets. I was planning on setting up in the children's section because I am also offering do your own cardboard air freshener. The kids section is only $50.00 to set up for the 3 days as opposed to the $120.00 in the main park. The other kids things that are routinely offered are spin art, stupid put beads in a selected container/ vase add colored water and choose your own silk flowers, candles using that granular type wax, and there is something else that I can't remember. Anyway...I thought I would provide markers, glue pens and glitter or glitter glue, maybe paint pens and then they could decorate the shape and pick the fragrance to be painted on. I'm using leftover raffia (from my daughter's Cousin IT costume that we made a few years ago) for the hanger and am packaging in a baggie to save some of the expense. My big question is I have no idea which fragrances to offer. I wanted to stay geared to the kids 'cause there isn't much for them to do within a reasonable price and I know with my own kids they always want to buy something, but I'm sure adults would probably do them to. The director and my husband convinced me that I need to be in the main park. I am thinking I should have a few kid (bubblegum, etc) fragrances but what do you think of some others. I also don't know how much variety I'd like to offer. I'm also in a tizzy wondering how many blanks to order. I'm not worried about having extras as they won't go bad. Some thoughts please!!!

I think you're kind of making a mistake by not being in the main park. Yes, you may get a bunch of kids making air fresheners, but how many sales would you be missing from adults who don't frequent the kids section??? You would probably get just as many kids in the main park and your business is actually adult based, not kids!! :cool2: Let's see for boy scents try.......bubble gum, apple scents, chocolate, fruity scents.......girl scents.....pink sugar, cotton candy, chocolate, fruity scents also.

Bubblegum and Grape always seem to go over really well with kids. I would switch it up though and give the scent names a kid type of twist.

Like... Blast-off Blueberry, Grape-a-licious, Forever Flowers, or Strawberry Sweetie, Hang Ten Coconut, etc.

If you put a small label on the baggies they take them home inm that has your business name and # or website, you might still be able to reach some of those parents. As long as the fragrance part is the same quality as the ones you would normally sell them. You'd be surprised how many people buy car air freshners in Strawberry, coconut, yes pine, lol, and some kind of Ocean, rose or floral scent. Very basic scents that they will enjoy as much as the kids.

Sounds like a lot of fun actually. Hope it actually is!:cheesy2:

Thanks..I am definately setting up in the main park but last year they put the kids section at the one end at the perimeter near where the kids section usually is. We have a large playground that was built for the kids and it is across the road from the main park and that's where the kids stuff has always been in the past. The festival coordinator couldn't tell me where they would set it up this year..it depended on how many booths they got booked. Anyway thanks for the fragrance input. I am waiting until closer to then to order bulk frgrangce and my blanks (for lack of storage space) but in the meantime when I get time (after preparing favors and wooden rose boquets and such for my kids sports banquet) I'm pre-labeling the bags with my info and instructions and pre-cutting all the raffia so I'm prepared. I like the idea of the name "twists" that always grabs attention.

I'm going to paint the fragrance on myself to avoid spills and "wasting". I'm using plain ol' sandwich baggies unless I come up with a great deal on some polypro ones. When I make the cardboard fresheners to sell, I put them in polypro, but I made a t-shirt one for my son and daughter's cross country track team with the kids individual pics on them and I just put them in a baggie 'cause I knew they'd be taken out right away and used. I may keep both kind of bags on hand and ask if the freshener is going to be a gift or used right away...if it is meant to be kept for awhile I can put it in the polypro. I'm hoping it will be fun..I'm hoping it is going to be a sort of springboard in advertising for my shop. We should be into our new house this fall (after 5 yrs. remodeling) and I am planning on a shop in my basement, not so much for my candle business but I am planning on offering crafting classes for kids and I've had adults inquire about sewing and crocheting classes. Eventually I would like to offer crafting supplies as we have no place close to buy that kind of stuff since walmart got rid of most of it and our closest Jo Anns is 40 mins. away. I will be volunteering at the school next year for a few craft projects for the kids. They are going to start offering clases after school on Fridays (scrapbooking, chess club, science lab, etc.)

The festival is in Ellwood City which is about 60 miles NE of Pittsburgh. It runs from Friday 7/4 - Sunday 7/6. The festival opens everyday at 11:00 and runs to I think 9:00 at night. There are plenty of food booths with a lot of variety (our school booth sells macaroni shells with meatballs and pepperoni puffs), there is entertainment all day long, the festival concludes with fireworks Sunday night at the football stadium. There is a bocci ball tournament all 3 days, a man that carves wood with a chainsaw (he is really good) and of course many craft booths. The kids section has some free things as well as some paid activities. Parking is usually $3.00 but there are several free parking lots where you can park and ride a free shuttle. Maybe I should post all this info in a seperate post.