Soap Ingredients

simplyorganic

Hello ladies i have another questions for those who do soaping. Whether it's CP or HP i hope you can chime in on the topic!

When you are given a list of Soap Ingredients & recipes is it MANDITORY to use and purchase the products from a soaping supplier? OR is it ok to use ingredients you find in the store?

Example: I have a wholesale organic food store that's in my area and they sale the same things (i.e canola oil, rice bran oil, safflower oil, olive oil, cocoa butter, chea butter even dried herbs) that you can order on a website for a much more reasonable price and i don't have to pay shipping either!

Is it ok to do that? or is there some big secretive difference in what you order online?

I want to think if what i'm making are organic bath & body products why not use it straight out the organic store?

Can anyone help me out on this topic b/c i'm really dumbfounded on it?! :o

Thanks a million!

:D

Wherever you can score them is fine. Some are very difficult (impossible to me) to find in stores like babassu and palm kernel, for example.

Whatever you do, run every recipe through a lye calculator, no matter where you found it, from a friend, on the net, in a book, there are some very bad recipes out there!

e

I've found the oils I get through online places are cheaper than those in the store and that I can get more for a better price. Since ingredients for anything are on the rise, I'm liking the bulk sizes more and more despite being challenged to find a lot of room. If I wanted to use sunflower oil for instance, I can't find sunflower in the stores here. When I did find some, I wasn't into paying in the area of about $6 bucks for less than a pound.

The only thing I have to add is that some oils are blended in the grocery store so be sure to read the labels. Shortening I know is one - there is all vegetable and one that is a blend of tallow and vegetable I think. I don't use shortening, but some do so be sure to check!

And there are blended olive oils too!

you want whatever oil you use to be just olive or just sunflower or whatever, not a blend.