I was wondering...

Sorry, if this is the wrong spot.

I was searching the web trying to come up with the reason different kinds of candles were originaly made.

I know the taper was first used for light.

But, what was the origianal intent for Votives, Pillars, Jars, tea-lights etc... And who first made them?

(I'm guessing the tea-light was for tea-time before the light-bulb was invented...LOL...)

I found this a mind-boggling question.

LOL yes it is mind boggling.

I think jar candle came about when people realized you could just put the wax in it and give light with out the mess of taper candles. In the Late 1800 and the earily 1900 glass was cheap and used by a lit of peole in there home canning. Also about that time the tin can was first started in food saving and people in that eara wasted very little so another use for those cans would candles.

Votive candle I believe where first used for churches. I am not sure of the reason other than cost. They are cheap and were then too.

I do not think a lot of these candles can be nailed down to the exact time and place they where started. All we can do is speculate.

Before electricity, candles were used for light. Some sources of fuel (tallow or whale blubber) were soft and needed containers. Some sources of fuel were hard (bayberry wax) and could be used as tapers or pillars.

I believe the idea of using candles to fragrance is recent, perhaps in the last 75 years.

Vicky is right about Votives (called devotional candles) being religious in origin. If you visit catholic churches there is an area where you can light a candle and say a prayer. The votive started in the Church first, probably centuries ago. The scented votive is relatively new.

Tea lights are actually food warmers and I think they were invented recently and I also think the name is because they can be burned beneath a tea pot.