Hurricane Wax??

Besides the IGI 1260 are there any other waxes that will work for hurricanes? I checked CandleScience (my main supplier) but didn't see anything there.

I was going to order the 1260 from Peaks but I also need the mold and those are out of stock. Any other suppliers that carry the 1260 (or any hurricane wax) AND the hurricane molds?

Actually I have been using a wax with a higher mp. It is around 160....from Genwax and it worked fine. I just like the 5055 because it isn't so hard. The harder the wax the more brittle it is and I subject my hurricanes to so much torture that I cracked many before I discovered 5055 and micro 180. With the 5560 you absolutely need the micro 180. It helps the keep the wax from being brittle. It for me, also keeps bubbles from forming. I can't make a cane or an orb without micro 180....unless I am using beeswax or 50/50 beeswax and paraffin. I guess if you used 25/75 you could bet away without the micro 180 too. I have dropped orbs on the floor and they actually have bounced. (smile)....that's a good thing. If you are doing picture embedded hurricanes then you want the wax to be as clear as possible. Just 1/2 ounce of micro 180 per pound works perfectly. Hope this helps. Donita

Actually I have been using a wax with a higher mp. It is around 160....from Genwax and it worked fine. I just like the 5055 because it isn't so hard. The harder the wax the more brittle it is and I subject my hurricanes to so much torture that I cracked many before I discovered 5055 and micro 180. With the 5560 you absolutely need the micro 180. It helps the keep the wax from being brittle. It for me, also keeps bubbles from forming. I can't make a cane or an orb without micro 180....unless I am using beeswax or 50/50 beeswax and paraffin. I guess if you used 25/75 you could bet away without the micro 180 too. I have dropped orbs on the floor and they actually have bounced. (smile)....that's a good thing. If you are doing picture embedded hurricanes then you want the wax to be as clear as possible. Just 1/2 ounce of micro 180 per pound works perfectly. Hope this helps. Donita

Thank you Donita for the advise and the clearing up on the differences. I will add the micro to the 5560. I just thought that the higher mp the better, but, I guess not. :confused: . Oh well live and learn:embarasse

Not true. You might find you like the higher mp wax. When I first started making hurricanes I didn't find the 5055 for about two years. Bill Binder from Candlewic really helped me in my early years. So did his brother Dave. I use to call them all of the time. I was having trouble with my hurricanes cracking when I hit them with a heat gun, or over dipped them into 200 degree wax. He suggested the micro 180. Then I also found that before I torched my sea shell candles and melted off wax with the heat gun, if I put them on a table with lamps over them, it warmed the wax and guess what........no more cracking. Wax likes to be at about 80 degrees. If you have cold wax and get it near heat it will crack. The micro helps with that. The nice thing about the higher melt point is obvious. I won't melt as quickly from a tea light or votive. But you will have do do some experimenting and see how it performs for you.

I remember Bill telling me that adding some beeswax to paraffin can help a lot of problems people have. I like to use a little bleached beeswax in my overdips.....it just helps it adhere better.

Donita

Just wanted to say THANK YOU all from the bottom of my heart Sharyl55 and Donita. My hurricane turned out great. Just one little smigden of frost on my Dad's chest area. I did you 5560 and micro 180. It came right out of the mold with no problem in about 4 hours. I am just so happy because now the In memory cane can sit with my Dad's, flag and medals.