Where can I find CDN wicks?

SB, or scented bean

here's a link...

http://www.scentedbean.com/home1.html

and I'd get some FO while you were there as well...

OMG thanks so much. There prices are great to and I love that I can order just 25 of each set. I was coming back here to edit my message to say some place that I dont have to order 1000 at a time. Thanks again, really you are a life saver.

Hi,

Have been getting mine from Scented Bean for 2 years now and only buy them from there.

Great service and they will send small shipments through the mail.

Ship fast also.

A 4" diameter jar is good size, are you trying to single wick or double. Only asking because SB only goes up to a CDN22. If you are using soy, don't think that will be big enough to single wick unless you are using a low melt point soy.

050.gif

Rose - most realistic, not perfumey rose I've found

strawberry shortcake

garden refreshmint

heavenly cinnabun or their other cinnamon roll... one is more cinnamony, but I can't remember which off the top of my head

warm cider

hell, try them all.... I make my own soy blend, 6-8%, cd wicks, and haven't had a bad oil from them. Terrific customer service too.

Hi,

Have been getting mine from Scented Bean for 2 years now and only buy them from there.

Great service and they will send small shipments through the mail.

Ship fast also.

A 4" diameter jar is good size, are you trying to single wick or double. Only asking because SB only goes up to a CDN22. If you are using soy, don't think that will be big enough to single wick unless you are using a low melt point soy.

050.gif

Yeah I am trying to single wick it. I have heard from Stella on here that a CDN20 worked for her candle but she said she should of used a CDN22. I am not really sure what my melt point is, is that bad, candlewic doesnt say on their website. I was hoping to get some CDN24 and CDN26 do you know of another website that has some, that I dont have to buy 1000 of them?

CDN22 is the largest I have seen on SB and also on JBN that also sells CDN wicks, may go higher, just have not seen them.

Some soy waxes are harder to burn than others (don't know which one you are using), testing like you are doing is the only way to see what works with the wax you are using.

I have never used the HTP 1212, so I don't know if the CDN22 burns hotter or not. You can try them and see since you can order a small amount from SB.

Agree with Tereasa on the FO's she mentioned :drool: , they are excellent (in GL 70/30) don't know what other waxes they work in.

CDN22 is the largest I have seen on SB and also on JBN that also sells CDN wicks, may go higher, just have not seen them.

Some soy waxes are harder to burn than others (don't know which one you are using), testing like you are doing is the only way to see what works with the wax you are using.

I have never used the HTP 1212, so I don't know if the CDN22 burns hotter or not. You can try them and see since you can order a small amount from SB.

Agree with Tereasa on the FO's she mentioned :drool: , they are excellent (in GL 70/30) don't know what other waxes they work in.

Im useing soy 125 from candlewic.com. And I tried early double wicking it with the HTP 1212 but it was way to hot, within one hour I had a full mp. So that is not going to work.

I use GL 70/30 and C3 wax so not sure what CDN wicks you would start with since you are using a different wax.

I would start with CDN 16 double wicked myself and go from there.

Agree with double wicking this size jar with soy wax, will be tough to single wick.

Your right, full MP in 1 hour is too hot.

You may want to do a search for the wax you are using to see if you find any suggestions.

Hang in there, you'll get it. :yay:

Try a CDN 22, single wicked. Sizes over 3" are problematic for single wicking as it generally takes a couple of burns to achieve FMP; then the hangup on the sides reduces as the candle burns down into the container. Be SURE, whatever wick you use, to wick for the bottom third of the container. It's rough to test these big 'uns but testing them all the way down is the only way you can be sure your wicking is "dialed in." :)

Antonia, in addition to the links already posted, here's a link to a thread here (found by searching for CDN) where several suppliers are listed as well as two larger wick manufacturer/suppliers where you can obtain samples.

http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66922&highlight=CDN

HTH :)

• 3 years later...

Southwest has some, but there is no supplier who is carrying them in any reasonable quantity at this time. If there were, they'd get my business for sure! CDs work nearly as well, IMHO and the sizing is very close, since they are both the exact same wick except for the treatment applied to CDNs.

Be careful about wick designations. One of the links above was a question about CSN wicks followed by CDN answers.

CD, CDN and CSN wicks are very different. http://www.wicksunlimited.com/candle_wicks.php

CSN is proprietary to Candle Science. They are made by Wedo according to the candle science website. Wedo makes LX, RRD, ECO, FW, HZL and P series wicks. Given the description on candle science, I would guess that the CSN's are a variation of the ECO wicks. http://www.candlescience.com/wick/wick-spools.php

CD's are made by Heinz. Now renamed to Stabilo wicks. Different company than CSN, different philosophy. Different intended use.

CDN is the same as a CD except that it has a chemical coating that resists the acid of natural waxes. Renamed to Stabilo KST. Also made by Heinz.

This is an OLD thread.

One of the links above was a question about CSN wicks followed by CDN answers.

The only link above that references both CSNs and CDNs (Stabilo KSTs) is one I posted in 2008. There was no confusion about the CSN and CDN wick designations. I think you misunderstood the OPs question:
I have been reading a lot of threads on wicks. Right now I use LX. I I ordered CSN14 and 16. I googled Stabilo KTS wicks and came up with a web site wicksunlimited.com but don't see where I can order them.
The OP stated they were researching different wicks. They were using LXs. They had ordered some CSNs. They Googled Stabilo KTS (typo - it's KST) and asked for advice on where they could order them. Unfortunately, none of the 4 suppliers mentioned in the reply are still around. Only Wicks Unlimited and WickIt (wick distributors) are still in business. One might currently be able to find a wider range of sizes of CDNs (than Southwest carries) on eBay, but caveat emptor...
CSN is proprietary to Candle Science. They are made by Wedo according to the candle science website
Quite true. Any company can have Heinz Verhaegh or Wedo design a wick for them. Many large candle companies do this. There's nothing magic about CSNs. They originally were introduced with Candle Science's palm waxes, but CS has since stopped carrying palm wax for "environmental reasons" so they still have a lot of CSNs to move. That all began years ago, however, so you may not know how CSNs came to be. The description of tabbed CSNs on CS's site is still the same as when they carried palm wax and marketed CSNs for that purpose:

"We are now able to offer a wick designed from the ground up to handle the unique challenges of palm wax. After all, an entirely new wax calls for an entirely new wick."

Many people who had been making palm wax candles for years prior to CS "debuting" Glass Glow and CSN wicks had somehow made good candles without an "entirely new wick." Some people switched to them, some people didn't. Some people use them now; some people don't.

CD's are made by Heinz. Now renamed to Stabilo wicks. Different company than CSN, different philosophy. Different intended use.
You're so right. They are very different companies since CS is a supplier and Heinz Verhaegh and Wedo are wick manufacturers from Nettetal, Germany. The intended purpose of the wicks is the same: for use in candles. Both companies manufacture a wide range of quality wicks for candles.

If anyone would like to read more about Heinz wicks here're their websites (some greeat wick information there):

http://www.technische-geflechte.de/site/english.html

http://www.heinzverhaegh.com/index.html

...and here's Wedo's website:

http://www.wedowick.de/nc/home/

Hope this clears up any confusion about "wick designations." :)

Edited by Stella1952

I think what I was looking at is that the CD's were intended more for paraffin and the CSN's more for veggie or palm wax, that's what I meant by different intended use.

I have spools of wicks here and am finding that sometimes a wick meant for soy works very well in paraffin and vise versa. Depends on the candle.

Edited by EricofAZ