I Need To Vent!!!!!!!

Explain this one! Why is it when your dicking around making candles for fun, everything turns out wonderfully. When you get that big order, everything that can go wrong will go wrong!! First of all, been working for years with ivory beeswax and have never had a problem till now. Been pouring at the same temp, but now I'm getting warps in my pillars. They look like the leaning tower of Pisa. Secondly, have made tons of palm 3 pillars with colour and never had a problem. By the next day, they've faded. WHAT IS GOING ON? Has this ever happened to anybody else?

Yep, it kinda happened tonight. I mean it wasn't to the extreme as it was for you. I just started to make some candles to stock up for inventory, and I made two mistakes! I rarely make mistakes when I am making test candles. I ended up just making one Comfy Cabin (was going to make more later), which is what I would normally do if I am testing or making one for a friend (make one at a time). I thought I put the right amount of drops of brown in but I either put too small of drops or put too few. I thought it looked a little light and sure enough it is. This bugs me! I was sidetracked. Then I made two Vanilla Dream candles (double dose) and calculated the temp more than the look of the wax (which I normally do not do) and poured it a little too warm. So, the tops started to flake, etc. -- not a big deal. I hate to think what I will do when I start doing big orders. Yikes! I got the testing down, but now I have to get the higher volumes down. I was trying to juggle feeding the family and making candles. Lesson learned! :D

P.S. I hope your misfortune won't be too much of a loss.

I finally figured it out tonight why everything was going wrong! I NEED MORE SPACE!!!! With hubby and I both doing this on top of his full time job, we're bumping into each other more in the candle room than in the bedroom lately. :D On a serious note though, it is the space. Now that he's at work, every beeswax pillar I've done tonight has turned out perfectly. I'm going to have to hide this email so he doesn't see it. :laugh2:

Oh man, you had me cracking up! :laugh2: Sounds like my situation -- NOT ENOUGH ROOM! I have to make candles in the kitchen and even though my husband supports me doing this, he hates the fact that I take up counter space. When he goes to feed the dogs he says, "where am I going to do this?" (to set the bowls down to mix the food). He wants to get me set up in the shop but I have a feeling I am going to miss being in the house. I try to keep the candle stuff picked up as much as possible, but you know how it is. :o I also try to do most of it during the day. But for some reason I like to make candles at night too. lol Thanks for giving me a good laugh!! :D

I am glad that your work turned out great tonight. :)

I wish I had the choice of having a shop. If I were you, I'd jump on that offer real quick. The nice thing about that is, when your out in the shop working and dinner isn't quite ready or even attempted to be made, now you can use the excuse "Hey I worked all day and I have to cook on top of it"!! :D I look at a "SHOP" as outside of the house as a separate identity (not attached to the kitchen). That's the problem, when they come home and see anything pertaining to candles, they over look everything else that has been done during the day. They don't realize that women can multitask very well, it's in our blood!:tiptoe: Don't get me wrong, I appreciate having hubby work with me, but I'm a very clean candle manufacturer. When I make a mess, I clean it. He on the other hand works for a very big manufacturing corporation as a tool maker. Any mess that is lying around, they have a cleaning crew that picks up after them. So, the story goes, he forgets when he's making candles that he's not at his other job. Somebody has to clean it up and that somebody always ends up being me. I just can't stand having wax all over my countertop, or liquid dye spots, or even mounds of paper towels crusted with wax. No I'm not anal retentive or anything like that, I like to start fresh and clean on the next job.

Take mine and your DH's advise and TAKE THE SHOP!! :)