Does this happen for everyone?

So I have been batching (making candles) and testing, batching and testing. I am working with 4630 now. I have made three candles, 5 oz apothecary jar. Blueberry, Cookies'n Cream and Cappuccino Brulee, I wicked with HTP83, which was up a size from the suggestions I found by SEARCHING THIS BOARD, I waited 24 hours to test them... all three have passed first and second burns and on thrid right now and stil doing fine. Wax is about 3/4 way gone. So basically, although you still need to test, once you find a wick/wax combination that works... you can use it for a general formula. I know I am going to have some tweaking to do somewhere along the line but so far... not bad. Anyone else have that come that easy? (By the way, that is my fourth re-formulation. the first three times the wick and wax did not do good)

We work with 4630 also..but use LX wicks.

When we FINALLY tested a combo that worked, we found that it USUALLY worked with most FO's but there are a few that we have had to go up a wick size or down a size......or ones that we just could not get right.

Sometimes, if we change the FO supplier, it will work...sometimes not.

So, yes, we have found that once we find a combo that works, MOST of them will test very similar. As you said, each one needs to be tested, at least once if not more, before you can call it good. Sounds like you are on the right track, though!

By the way, we are in no way experts. There are people on here that have been making candles a whole lot longer than we have!!! Just letting you know what our experience has been.

It just feels good after hours, and hours, and hours of beating my head on a brick wall. I know I am going to get harped for saying this but it's almost like.... once ya got it, ya got it. For the most part anyway. I still will remain to test each batch at least twice. I am going to try Lily of the valley tomorrow, so I am sure that will change back to the drawing board. Thanks for your replies!

My experience has been similar as well. Between ECO's and CD's I can wick just about anything in some of my basic containers. I've not had an ECO-1 fail me in my 2oz containers yet.

Working on formulations and testing your candles doesn't have to be excruciatingly painful -- it's just not guaranteed to be easy.

Congratulations on finding something that works for you.

It just feels good after hours, and hours, and hours of beating my head on a brick wall. I know I am going to get harped for saying this but it's almost like.... once ya got it, ya got it. For the most part anyway. I still will remain to test each batch at least twice. I am going to try Lily of the valley tomorrow, so I am sure that will change back to the drawing board. Thanks for your replies!

I am pouring Lily of the Valley tomorrow also!LOL! I don't use 4630 tho.I am testing CBA/415 50/50.Where do you buy your scents? i get mine BCN,CS,JS and I do have some from C&S but I am not buying anymore of those.I like the others alot better.Have fun tomorrow!

Kimmeroo:grin2: