Peak FO's

What do you all think about Peak FO's. I have done some comparison test with them and other companies and find they have a stronger scent from the bottles. Does this mean that they will have a better scent throw?

Kellie

Whether a person likes an FO or a supplier is subjective. Do you like beef or pork, do you like florals or foodie scents. Do you prefer Peak FO's or ABC company FO's. You will get a different answer from every person.

If you want a more accurate answer, you might want to ask if this particular Peak FO works well with my specific wax/wick/jar combo.

I'm going to play good cop because, well, I don't get to do it very often... and it might be a refreshing change.

Kellie,

1. Peak Candle OWNS this board

2. As a newbie, especially recently, it would be best to do some research... which I'd like to point out, Miz helped you greatly with!

3. You have to do your own testing (as someone else said, I'm just acting like it's an original thought because it bears repeating)

4. Every person smells things differently (again, as someone else said... but, you get the picture).

5. As a newbie, you'll get thumps around here. How you handle them dictates many things. Unfortunately, it's a mild form of hazing. We can be a tough group, but we can also be a very helpful group. What most of us WON'T do is hand feed you. You show that you're willing to work, and I bet every person here will help you with a specific question.

ETA (cuz I thought of some other stuff)

6. I make my own wax blend. FO that I like might not work in your wax/wick/jar combination.

7. there are some companies that Just Seem to be popular that I can't ever get a good throw out of... it all comes down to testing.

8. Some people won't use a supplier for something other than the quality of their oils. Recently, I've decided to never buy from Bittercreek again. Not that I used their FO, and not that I have a judgment about the quality of their FO... but the supplier herself ruined it for me. So, as you can see, favorite suppliers is a very personal thing. You ask for a personal opinion, you're going to have to allow for such things.

How did I do at the good cop thing?

OOB strength is not a predictor of scent throw. But I have found that generelly if it is real strong oob, it will also be strong if it throws. This is not an indicator or the oil's "throwability", but more a description of the type of scent it is (a strong scent). There are some that are like a hurricane oob, and just a little trickle once they are in wax (FBD's D&G Light Blue, NG's Angel are two that come to mind). Maybe 5% of the ones that I have tested acted this way.

I have found, more often than not, if I don't get a real real "noseful" when I smell oob, the scent throw probably isn't going to be that strong- not because the oil isn't good, but because the scent, itself, may be a "lighter" type scent ( Brighterscents Abercrombie & Fitch, comes to mind).

So, I guess what I am saying is that some scents are strong and some scents are light. Reputable suppliers, generally provide quality oils that throw. Some times they even give a rating on "throwability" in soy on their websites. In my testing experience, I have come across very few that don't throw; I have, however, come across a number of oils that do throw, but are light scents.

Have fun making candles. In my opinion, the testing part is the most interesting. Smelling all of the different oils that are available is the real joy, for me.

Eve

OOB means nothing...I know I am repeating what others have already said.

A scent that comes to mind is NG's gingerbread. I couldn't get that scent to throw no matter what wax/wick combination I tried. This was back when I was using a one pour wax. I tried J50, J223 and the old Dussek (I think it was something like 5766). Then I tried combinations of those waxes. I added petro....I added crisco. I couldn't get this damn oil to throw yet EVERYONE else would post and say it was the best gingerbread out there. And...they were using the same wax that I was. I finally gave up and found one from another supplier that threw well in my wax.

When I decided to go the straight paraffin with additives route I tested it again since I still had a little bit left and still couldn't get a good throw.

Moral of the story...OOB means nothing and you can use the same exact wax, wick, % of FO and pour at the same temperature as someone else and get different results.

Maggie

Peak has good quality FO. When you start buying from other suppliers you may notice a difference in various supplier's quality. I live on the east coast and a large percentage of what I carry is from Peaks (which indicates I really like their stuff and at usually wait a week for delivery). Peak sponsors this board, but they have great product and great customer service.

Another really nice supplier is Candle Science. I'm not sure what other suppliers you have used to compare (that might help us determine if you are comparing apples to oranges).

Hi Kellie and welcome to CT :smiley2:

I use several different suppliers for fragrance oils, Peaks being one of them. IMO, Peaks oils seem stronger and more compatible with the wax that I use, which is the Golden Brands Wax. I try to keep variables to a minimum and don't use additives or color.

Each individuals results will vary depending on the type of wax, fo, color, additives and wicks being used, heating/pouring temps, climate, etc...

TEST, TEST, TEST until you find what works for best for you.

Hang in there and have fun! :cheesy2: