using butters

Jo Ann

we really need to research this kinda thing...i started tonight, and really didn't see much on it...

I don't think there really is much to find, but someone did finally do the testing to find the answer. This Caveman Chemistry guy periodically contributes to the crafting community via the Handcrafted Soapmaker's Guild. He's been working on a book on scientific soapmaking that's supposed to come out this year. A portion dealing with superfatting was published in the latest Guild magazine. I haven't seen the full article yet, but the conclusion is that adding oils at trace versus the beginning of the process didn't affect the final outcome of the soap. I think it should be a very interesting book.

I don't think there really is much to find, but someone did finally do the testing to find the answer. This Caveman Chemistry guy periodically contributes to the crafting community via the Handcrafted Soapmaker's Guild. He's been working on a book on scientific soapmaking that's supposed to come out this year. A portion dealing with superfatting was published in the latest Guild magazine. I haven't seen the full article yet, but the conclusion is that adding oils at trace versus the beginning of the process didn't affect the final outcome of the soap. I think it should be a very interesting book.

And others have done research and found that it DOES affect the final outcome. I guess it's a matter of preference and doing your own testing.

thanx carebear...the way my brace is setup, i can't get closer to my laptop, so i couldn't tell.

i guess my main concern in all of this is that, if the qualities in a particular oil or butter is associated with the fatty acid, then I am probably going to lose that quality.