My Soap Is UGLY - Help

alevasseur

Hi all,

I just found this great resource. So excited to be here.

I am a newbie at the CPOP but after many batches of trial an error, I am starting to like my formulations.

HOWEVER, my soap is ugly. I can't stop from getting that soda ashy stuff on the top. Maybe it is not even soda ash. Not sure.

Today, I did a batch and I dont have the ash because I did cover it with Saran Wrap but now I have kind of a weird little bubbly thing going. The outside is never smooth. I always have to cut a layer off. Any suggestions?

Also, I see people that have soap with these scrumptious waves on the top........How do you do that?!!!

Thanks,

The ash is related to contact with the air, so covering it will help, although it doesnt always work and most soapers get it occasionally. I just plane the top off my soaps, but try and be extra careful not to let it overheat when I do a textured top. I still get those tiny little bubbles to a certain extent. Most people will not notice or worry about them. Its after all a hand made product, and like baking a cake it will never be perfect, which is part of the charm.