New & Hot Process Soap Questions

simplyorganic

I'm not new to soaping but i'm very new to the Hot Process method. If some could help me out in this your an angel in my book!!

As far as the hard oils go....is it manditory?? Like what if i wanted to substitute one hard oil for a soft oil is that ok? For example... i want to use Olive Oil, Rice Bran Oil, Safflower oil & Coconut oil for my soft oils and Shea Butter as my hard oil....... is that do-able?

Also how do i do calculations to make sure i'm not using too much or too little? I ABSOLUTLY suck @ math :confused: and i have no clue to how to weigh out correctly

My loaf molds hold up to 64oz's and i'm doing 4oz bars and i'm using a crock pot...

Thanks to anyone that can help! :yay:

mybannerglitter331a640dla0.gif

You will need to find yourself a lye calculator.

There is one here

www.thesage.com

and I believe the other is www.soapcalc.com

You will have to enter in the quanities of the oils you would like to use. It will tell you how much lye you will need also.

Just remember if you use a lot of soft oils your recipe will still be soft and you will have softer soap. You may have to wait a week or so before cutting your soap.

You said you are not new to soapmaking.. What have you been using to calculator your lye?

i was doing re-batching and sometime melt & pour...which of course doesn't use lye.... i'm ready to step it up and make the soap from scratch....i just don't want to mess up... i know i'll have trial & error but i don't want too much error, lol..

So it's pretty much best to use more hard oils than soft?

You might want to read millersoap.com. That site has TONS of information that will come in handy for you and will help you get started.

I agree if you are just starting you might try reading about soapmaking before actually trying it. It is a lot different than rebatching it and a lot of things could go wrong if you don't know what you are doing.

So it's pretty much best to use more hard oils than soft?

Not always. There are tons of recipes out there. You will have to try them and see what you like. I have some recipes that are higher in soft oils and vice versa. It just depends on what you like.

I agree if you are just starting you might try reading about soapmaking before actually trying it. It is a lot different than rebatching it and a lot of things could go wrong if you don't know what you are doing.

I have dozens of books and have been updating myself on it... i just find it better and more helpful when you get other people's experiences on it, you know? For some reason it just makes me build a little more confidence knowing "ok someone else did this and got it right!", lol....

Would you say that CP is easier than HP? :o

There are some simple recipes in the recipe section to get you started. When I first started I used AJs beginner recipe which was 25% Palm, 25% coconut and 50% Olive (thats 50/50 hard/soft). Start off simple (and cheap) until you have some experience. Nothing worse than having to chuck out a batch that contained loads of expensive butters and oils... I started with HP as I was a bit scared of the raw soap and impatiently wanting to try it earlier. Now I do only CP as I like to layer and texture my tops. Which ever you choose...good luck, hope you enjoy it.

You can use any CP recipe to HP. HP is just warming your traced CP batch to gel stage, then stirring and adding your fragrances or other additives. That is a VERY simplistic description of HP. And a good rule of thumb is 60% hard oils to 40% soft. Please take yourself to millersoap.com and read.

And ALWAYS use a lye calc, even for published recipes. Many of these are notoriously off. Here is a useful link for choosing oils, http://www.soapnuts.com/indexoils.html And google up hot process soap tutorial. Good Luck