molds

crazycacti

So poor me-i still do not have a REAL mold......

i was nosily perusing other people's threads-anything to avoid studying.......

and saw mention of someone taking a class and they used a sheet of styrofoam and cut out the piece and used duct tape and made a mold and it easily released the soap!

Wow!!!

anyone else do this?

And where do I buy styrofoam sheets?

Home Depot? Lowes?

somewhere better?

And any helpful hints if anyone does do this??

I have been using pans and boxes and such! makes for an interesting block of soap!!

:)

TIA

crazycacti..do you have a Ikea close by...If you will look on the Soap Gallery..I posted a picture of soaps I made today...

The 3 molds on the right side I bought from Ikea and I lined with crafter foam..You can get a set of 9 of those in a wood file cabinate for $12.99 and they work great..

Ugh, crazy, that stinks not having a mold. I take it you don't know anyone who does any type of woodworking who would make you one if you bought the wood and the screws? I've seen how pricey the molds are out there, that's why I make my own. Which reminds me, tomorrow I've gotta make another slab mold. Only have one, need more. What size batches do you usually make?

The 1L juice boxes make terrific molds, as do those dairy creamer cartons and frozen OJ cans. Tell everyone you know to start saving them for you. Just make sure they are good and clean before you use them.

Oh man! I miss Ikea LOL!! First time I ever saw them was when we were living in Germany. However, I learned quick to never ever ever go to Ikea on a Saturday unless I wanted to spend at least 4 hours there trying to get through the store. It was a mad house!

I love those molds you made up Gran! Wish I had an Ikea nearby:(

Angi

i have an ikea nearby--what is it that i would buy there that would be mold-ish??

something exciting?

I actually live with a guy who makes amazing wood furniture and such and has said a bunch of times he was going to make me a mold. but....................................

not sure why it has not happened!

Have mentioned one for christmas would be nice, v-day, my birthday

even have sent him sites of others who make own and such!!

i think i need to beat him!!

hee hee

crazy, here's what you do to get your molds built. Print out the picture of the type of mold you'd like to have. Calculate how wide,long and high you want it to be for the size batches you make. Have all that info ready. Leave it laying somewhere where he will see it, measurements and all. Typically, he'll ask you what you're doing. You just tell him you're trying to decide/or have decided what size/type mold you want. Then ask him if he can show you how to use the table saw and the drill. I guarantee you it will work. It will kick in his "you'll hurt yourself on my tools, so I'd best do it for you" gene. :cheesy2:

I used to do this. Then I learned how to use the tools myself, so now I wait for no one :laugh2: