HELP!!!! Trade show

Carla257

I just got a call from someone looking to add me into their Trade show. It starts on Feb 17th. This trade show is probably the best to get into as it will be filled with retailers looking for wholesale items. I want to get into it but I don't think I am ready. But maybe I could be ready if I rushed. First of all it is 5 hours away and its for 4 days. I have never done a trade show before so I would not be ready for a booth set up. I have to have 10x10 carpet and 8 foot walls I think. The 10x10 space is $1200 and if I want to rent the carpet and walls that could be close to another $1000

This is a HUGE Trade show. What should I do?

I am ready to sell lots of candles, that is not my problem. But the cost of the space and I really want a nice booth.

What does everyone else do for their booths especially the walls?

I am pressed for time!

Rushing = $1200 booth fee+$1000 carpet/walls+$100 electric+$150 drearage charges+$650 hotel + $100 travel+ $500 meals+$500 catalogs+300 samples About $4500 minimum So you need to write at least $25,000 to make it profitable. Then can you meet the demand of all them wanting it in 2 weeks or they cancel?

Are you willing to risk to not to write a single order? unless you got the next beanie babie, its a tough market to jump into. Attendance and sales are down everywhere! I've done about 50 trade shows now, and I would say now is not the time.

If you are not ready...the attendees and other exhibitors WILL notice. My booth backdrop alone weighs ~500# and is worth about $2000, as I got about 10 offers last week to buy it(wish I could but its one of a kind)

I suggest going to the show as a guest and check out other displays and talk to other vendors first.

I have to agree with barncat. You might want to wait on this one. A trade show takes a lot of planning. You have to look professional. A sheet draped over a table won't work here. This is going to be a huge expense. You will need to write large orders and then meet the deadline for them. Do as barncat said and go to the show as a shopper. Observe other booth set ups and then plan your set up, and have it organized and ready for the next opportunity. Your potential customers will be able to tell right away if you put this together in a hurry. Even if you were able to write a lot of orders, if you can't get them done in time, you will loose business.

Yah, i didn't think about all the other expences. I might go down as a shopper, but I have to apply for that first, it's not for shoppers just for retail. It might even be better if I contact some stores in the city, make appointments and pitch my product. I might do that in the spring.

Ditto on everything Barncat and Misty said, markets are down and even if they go on the upswing most first time exhibitors do not write those type of orders. I will also add, if they are calling you because they have space....thats a red flag for me. Not that trade shows don't have space, most do, unless is WESA in Denver. But it means their exhibitors are down which trickles down to buyers are not attending. Best advice...have your P&Q's in order before you jump in...plan your booth display, get your brochures ready (www.megacolor.com) might help you out, i'm sure there are others. What type of samples will you be handing out if any, not necessary but it does get them to stop at your booth. You don't have to rent their carpet, you can buy an inexpensive piece at Home Depot, Wal-mart...ect. I also don't use dreyage because I don't ship, I bring my display with me. Hotels vary, I just booked mine for Dallas for $82/nite and I don't know what Barncat eatin'....lol, but I don't spend $500 in meals, but then I try and eat out my evening meal only to avoid high fat/calorie stuff and bring healthy food for breakfast/snacks, I actually find it hard to eat at the show...time wise. Plus don't forget...bring money so YOU can buy some great stuff at wholesale...thats the fun part.

I don't know what Barncat eatin'....lol, but I don't spend $500 in meals, quote] Then you aren't living at the shows:laugh2: Course, we have 3 of us there, plus we eat out good...then there is hanging out with other vendors & customers at the bar... we're lucky if we get away with $100 a day.

oh, yeah they need vendors if they are calling you late...and don't pay full price, they should be giving you a deal! I've already pd for a 5X10 and they gave me a 25X10, also another time pd for a 10X20 and got a 20X20 end cap!

There is usually only me and sometimes another person....in Dallas they serve free margaritas chips/salsa at 3:00...good thing I take the shuttle....lol. I do the western shows so a bunch of us vendors go out to eat together and sometimes someone from one of the large companies puts it on his company account. Love those cowboys...lol. I have done the gift shows but for my target market the western shows are better for me. Last year in Dallas, Cruel Girl/Cinch jeans had a great fashion show, live music and tubs of beer.....gotta love the big guys. I know we've chatted before, one of these days we'll probably run into each other at a show....