Follow up Emails

MochaMama

I was wondering if any of you sent a follow up email to customers that purchased off your website.

I was thinking of sending out a mini-survey (three questions) to customers that made a purchase but didn't know if people wanted to be bothered.

What are your thoughts?

If it is a customer that is purchasing for the first time, I always send a follow up message to thank them and make sure everything arrived okay. In my opinion, I wouldn't do a survey. If they email you back, then maybe you can ask them if they'd mind participating (maybe even offer a 10% off code for participating...but if that's the case, make more than 3 questions, LOL). Just my $.02, I'm definitely not the expert here, but that's my personal opinion.

I send out updates every couple weeks with special offers. In the past, I've asked people what their favorite scents are in order to decide what to buy, but received little or no response on them. Now, I just guage by what I sell the most in any given season.

I would definitely follow up, especially on a first order. Even if I sell it on Ebay and don't know if the person will ever buy off my website, it's always nice to send an email. That shows you care about them as a person, not just a customer who may possibly buy from you again.

Personally, I would have a place on the website to sign up. I shop frequently online and nothing irritates me more than receiving unsolicited email, especially for a survey. Most sites have newsletters or mailing lists you can participate in IF you choose to. I usually choose NOT to. I will decide by the quality of products and/or customer service whether or not to continue shopping there. Occasionally it's a one-time purchase and I know I likely never shop there again, not because of any problem, just because I have no need for anything else from there. Having them email me really irritates me and it guarantees I wont return again even if the need arises.

Make your first impression the best possible :)

JMO as an online consumer....

I'm an online shopper as well and personally, I get excited when I receive a follow up "thank you" e mail with a coupon without an expiration date. I don't know if I will shop from that particular company again, but if the need arises, I will receive 10% or so off my next order!