A question about felting a loom knit item....

asheebeans

I want to make a felted easter basket from white wool yarn, but have the novelty yarn around the top of the basket. (fun fur, or something of the type) Should I knit the whole thing first, novelty yarn and all and then felt it or do I have to felt the wool part first and then somehow attach the novelty yarn later? I am hoping to add some beads to this somehow, too, but I will cross that bridge when I come to it! Thanks in advance for any advice/tips anyone can offer!

p.s. Yes, in case you were wondering I will have the gaudiest Easter Basket on the block! :laugh2:

I don't know what type of novelty yarn you are using but be careful b/c some yarns will wash up and ruin your project, ask me how I know. :rolleyes2 You might test a knitted square of that yarn in a wash. I made my mom this cute cute purse and after we washed it, it was completely ruined and we had to cut off the top.:(

I don't know what type of novelty yarn you are using but be careful b/c some yarns will wash up and ruin your project, ask me how I know. :rolleyes2 You might test a knitted square of that yarn in a wash. I made my mom this cute cute purse and after we washed it, it was completely ruined and we had to cut off the top.:(

Yikes! that's a bummer! Thanks for the heads-up!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm halfway there! I'm wondering if I couldn't wrap the handle in wire to make it a bit sturdier....I'm thinking that I should have added something in before I felted to make it stronger and stand up. :sad2: But the basket turned out really nice! Here are pics of it drying on a juice bottle to shape it. I posted links to the pics instead because the pics were huge when I tried to post them! :embarasse Thanks for looking!

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j134/asheebeans/feltedeasterbasket3.jpg

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j134/asheebeans/feltedeasterbasket2.jpg

I had edited to add instructions and hit the wrong button and lost them!!! grrrrr.....I will add them in later, as I have to work today and need to get stuff done!