adding scent to soy

Those Of Us Who Have Been Doing This For A While Generally Add The FO At A Much Higher Temperature. The FO Won't Bind With The Wax When Added At A Lower Temperature.

Of Course, It's Always Best To Do Your Own Testing As What Works For One Person Won't Always Work For Someone Else.

I, However, Always Add My FO At A Higher Temp. And Have Great Results.

It's Very Hard To Capitalize Every Word.

I have read pro and con on this and no real factual data.

On the high side: it is said if the FO isn't added at least at 150° that it will not "bind" with the wax.

On the low side: it has been said that soy wax is a "natural binder" so adding at high temps as with paraffin is not required.

One thing nearly everyone agrees on is that no matter what temp you add FOs, the wax should be thoroughly stirred to ensure good dispersion throughout the wax.

Because we don't know what carrier oils and stuff are used in all the FOs we may purchase, and we have no scientific data about the "binding" properties of soy wax, the best approach is to see what works for you. If you are getting satisfactory results at low temp, it would be silly to change. If you ARE having problems with hot throw, it wouldn't hurt a thing to add at a higher temp to see IF that is the problem.

FO questions are sometimes very difficult because there are so many suppliers and sources (who purchase from umpteen different manufacturers or wholesalers) and we just have no way of knowing what is in them. Sometimes a problem can be resolved by simply changing the supplier for a certain FO. If you have tested the same fragrances from different sources, you can readily see how different one scent can be from the next guy's. HTH :)

Debk, you said

I also use CD16 in my 8 oz. mason jars and 20' in my 16 oz. masons

I dunno what wax you are using, but that seems like a lotta wick to me...:shocked2: how hot are your jars getting at the end of the candle?

You know what I just realized recently? FO can take permanent marker off of plastic fo bottles. It's got a solvent property to it. Maybe not all do, but the ones I'm using do. I wonder if those types are more likely to mix well at lower temps since they might be able to actually break into the wax a little with their solvent qualities? I wonder if anyone else has seen them able to remove permanent marker? Maybe some don't and they need to be added at higher temps? No idea if it means anything, but I'm curious. :)

You know what I just realized recently? FO can take permanent marker off of plastic fo bottles. It's got a solvent property to it. Maybe not all do, but the ones I'm using do. I wonder if those types are more likely to mix well at lower temps since they might be able to actually break into the wax a little with their solvent qualities? I wonder if anyone else has seen them able to remove permanent marker? Maybe some don't and they need to be added at higher temps? No idea if it means anything, but I'm curious. :)

I thought about opening a "NEW" business. Scented Furniture Re finisher removes paint, varnish and polyurethane just pour on and wipe off finish. No bad smelling fumes, just about any scent you want. Your neighbors will think your baking. Only $29.99 for your 8 oz bottle. Order today while supplies last....:rolleyes2

I have added FO at high temp. 175* and low almost slushy and can tell no difference. Most times I add about 150*-175* just because it goes with the flow of my making routine.

I thought about opening a "NEW" business. Scented Furniture Re finisher removes paint, varnish and polyurethane just pour on and wipe off finish. No bad smelling fumes, just about any scent you want. Your neighbors will think your baking. Only $29.99 for your 8 oz bottle. Order today while supplies last....:rolleyes2

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

I've played w/adding FO's at low & high temps just to see what effect it would have on the throw. I found that in GW 474 if I add the FO at 170 deg., I can actually use quite a bit less FO and still achieve a great CT & HT, quite to my surprise!