Yet another castille question....

Angel91805

Yes, this is officially my Dumb Question of the Week.

Yes, I did a search, no I didn't find an answer.

Can you HP castille soaps?? Wouldn't that cut down drastically on the cure time? If you can't.....why couldn't you??

I can feel it now....this is gonna be one of those DOH! moments, isn't it??

Oh! I forgot to add....I used a bastille soap at 8 months....too slimey, so I let it dry out and then I tried it again yesterday...the darned thing has DOS! WTF?

Donna

::::again...posting before coffee! I have to QUIT that!::::

Hmpf....you just never hear about anyone HPing castille/bastille type soaps. I guess if it's still slimey.....well then it wouldn't cut down on the cure time any/much.

I just went and looked...on the one bar that I made 9 months ago...I have one orange spot on one side and 3 yellow-about-to-turn-orange spots on the other. GRRRRR

Donna

Ugh, the dreaded orange spots. Sorry to hear about that.

I HP castille soap, actually, I HP all of my soaps. It cuts down on the cure time, it lets you use virtually any FO, and you don't have to deal with ash. I do let them sit and dry for a couple months or more, only because a drier bar will last longer.

I'm not sure I fully understand what you mean by "slimey". Does the bar still seem to be wet? I guess first I should ask you what type of castille you are making? Olive oil, lye and water?

I'm not sure I fully understand what you mean by "slimey". Does the bar still seem to be wet? I guess first I should ask you what type of castille you are making? Olive oil, lye and water?

hmmm....if I remember (and I'm too lazy just now to dig out my notes)...it's 90% olive oil, 5% castor 5% babassu, no scent, no color. I made it in March....in November when I used it...I got sort of a slimey coating on my skin and on the bar and then it worked into little bubbles. Sort of....wellllll......snotty feeling. :D I don't care how wonderfully moisterizing it is....we've gotta cure out that snotty stuff some more. Just wondered if HPing would cut the cure time down much.

Donna

Aha! Snot! Ok, I can relate to that :cheesy2: . I've never added castor or any other oil to my castilles, but that is where your "slime" is coming from, the castor. I'm not sure if you are getting any from the babassu because I'm not that familiar with it.

CP castilles take anywhere from 6 to 12 months to cure, so maybe yours just need more time. In the meantime, if you feel like playing, make up a batch of HP castille then check it at 2 mos, then at 4 mos, etc.

I give my bars with castor oil in them an extra month or so drying time than my bars without it.

HTH