GF 444 & 464 users only

I use GF/GB 435 and I'm happy with it most of the time. But the shelf life for looks is not so good in batches batches. Since you all use either 444 or 464 waxes have you noticed that it "drys" out the longer sits on the shelf? When my tarts start this drying it starts around the edges and slowly works it's way to the center and if you break one apart it is definitely dry powdery looking. Candles will dry on top then start with major frosting on the sides. Making for a crappy look IMHO. I have used a few things over the years that seem to help but would rather just go with a wax that is already blended. Since this drying out does not happen with every single tart/candle or batch I pour I'm wondering if you see it at all with the 444 or 464?

#1 tart & candle that have been made for maybe 6 months both are really dry

#2 see the dark parts that's what it use to look like

#3 the whole thing will just keep getting lighter

#4 this is a chunk of wax I have had for over 7 yrs, sent some of it to GF long ago and they didn't have any ideal what caused it. Cause if I remelt, it will look good, for awhile.

:confused:

post-215-139458441459_thumb.jpg

post-215-139458441462_thumb.jpg

post-215-139458441464_thumb.jpg

post-215-139458441466_thumb.jpg

Hi Sharon

I feel your frustration. I'm getting some samples of the 444 and 464 from Kris at Gateway. I've been working with 416 and 415 and have also experienced the same dryness starting around the edges then working it's way throughout the entire candle/tart. My candles and tarts with a shelf life of more than 2 weeks will start to dry out with this powdery residue. I contacted Jason at Golden Brands for some tips on correcting this problem and it was suggested that I try adding crisco at 1/2 to 1 Tblsp pp...unfortunately for me, adding crisco made no difference at all. Im hoping that I'll have better luck with the 444 or 464.

You might find the following threads helpful in the way that your not alone with this problem. Best of luck to you...keep us posted. http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56372

Thanks Waxflower, I read that thread and even replied about the drying. I have tried so many things it would be too long a list for the board. Some things worked like the bees wax and the clean wax, I think coconut oil worked but don't know if I check any for months later. I know it helped the appearance at the time. Right now my wax is great and won't need to order for a month or so. Would really like to know if anyone has used a lot of this wax for over a year and never had this drying effect? TIA

Hi Sharon,

I use c-3 and I have some tarts that have been sitting on my counter since before Christmas. They have started to dry out and I have some tarts that I've had for 6 months or more and they have also done the same thing.

I also haven't been able to "fix" this issue.

Kim

OK, here are some pics- the first are the melts (which have been abused in a freezer bag for a year). They have scratches and dents and have faded in color from their original (despite being in a dark cupboard all year).

2231092946_73a73be386.jpg

The second pic is after I cut into a couple. The texture is different on the inside after time- grainier for sure, a little crumbly even. But equally faded in color to the outside...

2231095430_9e62cacb61.jpg

I've never cut up a melt before (these are from the Target silicone ice cube trays, so they're mini sized). I don't have any candles leftover to compare at this point, but from the outside they all DID look just like when I'd poured them (I sold them all discounted at Christmastime). This is straight 464 (hence the scratches and dents- soft wax).

-Kristi

Guest Candelishis

Do you think that maybe what you guys are packing them in could be doing this? Most plastic baggies aren't soy-friendly. I use clamshells and mine don't frost. Let me go grab some of mine that are tucked away in a drawer and take a pic....brb...

P.S...logcabinmamma - Your countertops are beautiful!!!!

Guest Candelishis

Sorry about the big pics, first of all.....lol....

Ok. First two are a clamshell that I made last summer. Pink Sugar FO, GB 464, and Peak's dye. There is a little bit of frosting that is visible on the back of the package, but none on the top.

IMG_2715.jpg

IMG_2718.jpg

This one is at least a year old, because I haven't made any molded tarts for that long. Stored in a little pouch made of wax paper and sealed with tape. They're very soft, moist, and shiny. No frosting at all. Same wax (464), back then I used reddiglo dye chips, and Peak's almond pastry FO.

IMG_2716.jpg

Yes, my graininess is most likely cause by poor storage conditions! I really don't sell melts, so this is just the extra wax I have hanging around (why, I don't know lol). If I was planning to EVER sell these, I'd use clamshells instead. I'm impressed by how nice they still look!

-Kristi

Guest Candelishis
Yes, my graininess is most likely cause by poor storage conditions! I really don't sell melts, so this is just the extra wax I have hanging around (why, I don't know lol). If I was planning to EVER sell these, I'd use clamshells instead. I'm impressed by how nice they still look!

-Kristi

Yeah - the clamshells hold up VERY well, and they're SOOOOOO much easier to pour. I will never go back to molded tarts. Even though you can make some really cute ones, like your hearts.

Also - I just edited a previous post, but you probably didn't get to read that part - your counter tops are beautiful! LOL. Are they slate?

Yeah - the clamshells hold up VERY well, and they're SOOOOOO much easier to pour. I will never go back to molded tarts. Even though you can make some really cute ones, like your hearts.

Also - I just edited a previous post, but you probably didn't get to read that part - your counter tops are beautiful! LOL. Are they slate?

We're crossposting back and forth... nope- cheap Formica! But they *do* look nice anyway!

I would much prefer clamshells if people around here would ever get into melts vs candles, but so far no. I rarely am even asked about melts. Not worth buying the clamshell molds... I save my "pretty" melts for repours or firestarter wax... someday my area will catch up- probably in another year or two....

-Kristi

I am NOT a GF 444 or 464 user, so you can ignore this post. But what I am seeing is CHANGES in the crystal structure of the candles over time that is quite similar to frosting, cauliflowering, etc. - all due to changes in the crystal structure. The candle isn't "drying out" - the structure of the newly forming crystals is not as orderly as the rest - they lump, crack and don't "stick" together well because they are not as well bonded to one another. The texture becomes more grainy and crumbly. The aforementioned waxes are not the only ones which suffer from this phenomenon. ;)

I am NOT a GF 444 or 464 user, so you can ignore this post. But what I am seeing is CHANGES in the crystal structure of the candles over time that is quite similar to frosting, cauliflowering, etc. - all due to changes in the crystal structure. The candle isn't "drying out" - the structure of the newly forming crystals is not as orderly as the rest - they lump, crack and don't "stick" together well because they are not as well bonded to one another. The texture becomes more grainy and crumbly. The aforementioned waxes are not the only ones which suffer from this phenomenon. ;)

What I'm fascinated with is the LACK of graniness in the crystal structure of the clamshell melts... looks pretty good to me! And I had the dreaded cauliflower late last year with a C-3 candle- it was impressive! This is more of a crumbliness than anything else (at least mine). It's not noticeable when being used normally (only affects the appearance). Very much like chocolate over time.

-Kristi

Guest Candelishis
What I'm fascinated with is the LACK of graniness in the crystal structure of the clamshell melts... looks pretty good to me! And I had the dreaded cauliflower late last year with a C-3 candle- it was impressive! This is more of a crumbliness than anything else (at least mine). It's not noticeable when being used normally (only affects the appearance). Very much like chocolate over time.

Well, chocolate is a lot like wax, actually.

This page from Nature's Gifts explains the phenomenon...

http://www.ngiwax.com/soy-wax-and-polymorphism-what

How to correct it in a particular wax formula is a discussion that IS specific to each brand of wax and perhaps Jason could be of assistance. He posted some tempering instructions for Golden Brands products. There is a link to it in this thread:

http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61303&highlight=tempering

AHA - I found it...

http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?p=197532post197532

In addition, certain FOs and dyes seem to cause this type of frosting more than do others, and temperature and oxidation (perhaps why the clamshells hold up slightly better) play big roles.

I made some wisteria and some coffee scented tarts that frosted badly just like some of the photos (except they were made with NatureWax C3). I had no intention of selling them and just left them laying around in a pan. Ugly little buggers they were, but they still smell great in a melter. Just can't stand to look at them!

Guest Candelishis
Hey!! Mebbe that's an idea!! I could market the fuglies as Stella Rocks!! :laugh2"

LMFAO - Girl, I was saying it like you're awesome - "Stella ROCKS!!" - because you always have kick-ass answers for stuff. LOL. But hey, you might be onto something there!!!!! Do I get royalties for coming up with that??? :laugh2: