May be a dumb question, but: is PET the same as PETE?

tarynjms

Some of my FO's came in plastic bottles & the bottles are starting to "suck in". If they are old oils, I'm throwing them away, for fear the oil inside has changed. But I've just gotten some NEW oils that already came slightly "sucked in". I'm not able to do amber glass, although I'd like to, but I'm going to use clear PET. I saw some on sale at a supplier for a good price, but they say PETE. Is that the same as PET plastic? Thanks for any help.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but why does the "sucking in" mean the oils need to be thrown away?

My water bottles do that all the time when I put them in the fridge after filling with room temp water. Isn't it just shrinking from a temperature change?

I mention this because I have many FO that do this too. When I take them to the garage and the temp is in te 40's for a while they "suck in" until I crack the cap and let air back in.

Maybe it's not the same thing :confused:

Now I'm confused :laugh2:

No help here on the PET vs. PETE, sorry...

The sucking in is called panelling and some ingredients (especially citrus) actually evaporate (escape) thru the PET or PETE jar. It is permeable. That's why you should store fos in amber glass. I just learned this reading another board. PRETTY GOOD, HUH????

From what Wikepedia says, PET & PETE are the same. Carole