70/30 Wick Question

I used 70/30 and absolutely loved the scent throw both hot and cold but had the same problem wicking it. I either got tunneling or over wicking with mushrooming, black soot - the whole nine yards. I tried ECO, LX, Cotton, Zinc, CD and just could not get it. I use several different styles of jars - all had the same problem.

I've tried 2 different brands of zinc & both mushroomed for all they were worth. I'm currently testing the Fil-Tec Ultra Core. I definitely need to wick down from the comparison chart suggestions, cause I'm getting whopper big flames. Mushrooming isn't near as bad & I don't dare go for a marathon burn till I get the flame under control. FWIW -- these wicks are a very nice replacement for zinc's.

Susan.

I've tried 2 different brands of zinc & both mushroomed for all they were worth. I'm currently testing the Fil-Tec Ultra Core. I definitely need to wick down from the comparison chart suggestions, cause I'm getting whopper big flames. Mushrooming isn't near as bad & I don't dare go for a marathon burn till I get the flame under control. FWIW -- these wicks are a very nice replacement for zinc's.

Susan.

I just ordered a sample pack of the fil-tec wicks so I guess I'll test those next for comparison.
I use CD's and have no problem with mushrooming. I learned to cut back on the FO...make a big difference. You don't need to use as much FO in GL 70/30 and with less FO, less mushrooming.
What FO percentage do you suggest? I'm currently using 7% with my weaker scents and 6% with my well known throwers.

Anyone have any luck finding a wick that doesn't mushroom in the GL 70/30? I've tried LX and ECO so far and both have mushroomed. Next on my list are the HTP and CD wicks but I wanted to see if anyone had any input before I start pouring.

I don't use GL but have been trying to blend 415 and J223 (70/30) and having the same problem. Love the ease in preparation and how it looks afterwards but keep getting mushrooms, under and over-wicking. I have been using CD wicks, and tried LX with no luck. I may just go back to much smaller amount of J223, just hate to wait and pour with that mix.

I never heard this was a wax to pull down the fo load. I was at 8%, so I think I'll pour some at 6% ... I'll never complain about saving $ on fo & have found many times that using less can give a better throw! I think I'll start by using the recommended wick size w/ 6% to see if this cures the bonfire flames! I didn't get a lot of mushroom, so I'll let ya know what happens. Thanks for the help.

Susan.

• 2 weeks later...

I use the ECO 12 or 14, depending on jar size, with 70/30 and 6% FO; no mushrooms. The only thing I do notice is that after about 2 hours, the flame tends to get a little high. I extinguish it and trim to 1/4", then relight! Love the 70/30 wax!

Well, in my 3" diameter Crisa jar the ECO 8 is doing a pretty good job. I'm getting some hang up in the 1st half of the jar but once it hits mid point the hang up starts to melt down and I end up with a clean jar.

I have some of the Fil Tec Ultra Core wicks coming tomorrow and I'm going to give those a whirl before making a decision on wick choice.