additives

sad thing about the "similar threads" at the bottom.... you have to post a thread to get them.... I am off to read.

Thanks Jessica

Yeah, you are right! Have fun reading hopefully your find the answering your looking for :smiley2: No problem!

OK, after reading :read: all the "similar threads" and all the stuff I did find in a search. I found the best information at JBN... I found a link in an old post.

So if any other newbies would like to know what all the additives do... here you go.

http://www.justbynature.com/Candle_Making_Supplies/additives.html

I think I am going to try coconut oil.... sound like what I am looking for!:highfive:

Have a great night everyone!!:wave:

OK, after reading :read: all the "similar threads" and all the stuff I did find in a search. I found the best information at JBN... I found a link in an old post.

So if any other newbies would like to know what all the additives do... here you go.

http://www.justbynature.com/Candle_Making_Supplies/additives.html

I think I am going to try coconut oil.... sound like what I am looking for!:highfive:

Have a great night everyone!!:wave:

Im glad you found the answer you were looking for. I think a lot of it is trial and error! Are you having probelms that you are trying to fix? Cause if not why fix it if it aint broken LOL...anyways you have a great night also!

I was just going to ask the same question.... I really didn't feel like searching all the suppliers I have bookmarked.

I do know you can get it at JBN but they are out of stock right now.

I am not sure if it is a bit different for candles or if it is the same as you can buy in a store. I would think a health food store would carry it.

I hope to find some soon!

Well, I know where I am going tomorrow.... SuperWally World!!

About coconut oil - it has a tendency to harden the candle somewhat. I don't think it adds anything to the throw - the reason I was interested in it was to help control frosting.

About beeswax, it makes the wax much more brittle, but much smoother consistency and tops.

About USA from JBN - it does seem to enhance hot throw and does make the consistency smoother, better tops. If it helps control frosting, I haven't noticed too much help in that area...

About Crisco - it softens the wax somewhat. Haven't noticed anything better about the throw or frosting issues. It imparts a slightly oily feel to the candle - objectionable to some but I don't mind it.

About UV stabilizer - it really helps with dye fading. Good stuff!

I add any/all at the very beginning with the wax so it blends in well. HTH :)

About USA from JBN - it does seem to enhance hot throw and does make the consistency smoother, better tops. If it helps control frosting, I haven't noticed too much help in that area...

I'd hesitate to generalize about what USA does for throw. Some blends that use it don't seem to throw as well as straight soy. But anything that affects the burn can affect the scent throw too, so who knows. Maybe in some cases it helps.

USA modifies crystallinity. That's its specific purpose whether the oil is for food or candles. In the case of candle blends that means less frosting, tops setting up better and generally better results pouring at higher temperatures.

Your wax almost certainly has a monoglyceride in it already, so you may not notice much additional effect on frosting when you add more. With plain soy like 415, what I typically see without USA is a thick ring of white powdery wax around the top edge after a burn. Adding USA eliminates that. There's still frosting, but it's just a little lighter than the color of the candle. The tops also set up a little better after a burn.

One final thing you can say about the effect of USA is it hardens the wax and raises the melt point. Often it will decrease container adhesion too.