Additive suggestion to thicken lotion base

Brenda (OH)

I offer B&B products from bases in my line but I mainly am a candle gal so please forgive me if this question seems simple. What could I use to thicken a lotion base? The base I use now I can pick up rather than ship and I am looking for ideas to thicken it up a little more for lotions and even a bit more for a cream. Also, will adding to the base dilute the preservatives?

I use stearic acid in my lotion base to thicken it. I melt shea butter and coconut oil, then add some lotion base and mix really well. Then little bits at a time...add the stearic acid...until it gets like I want it. Just remember if you have heated anything up...it will thicken some as it cools.

Because of adding other ingredients, I always add a little bit of preservative.

I only make creams/lotions for myself and my mom...not to sell.

You need to contact the bases supplier to as if additives will compromise the preservative. Some bases allow for a small percentage of additives (besides FO and colorant), but only the supplier will know for sure. ;)

As for thickeners, there are a lot of different ones, you can read up on them at lotioncrafter.

Here are some that I've used:

cetyl alcohol NF

behenyl alcohol

cetearyl alcohol NF

Myristic Acid

Stearic Acid NF

Most of these are fatty acids derived from vegetable sources. ;)