vybar question

I know i know i've searched but nothing gave me the answer :P

I made some tealights over the weekend, one i made without vybar and the other with vybar. Now to the good part, The one with vybar burned longer, and did not sweat, the one with vybar burned a lot shorter in time and was sweating.

I used 1286 wax, 2 different FOs and vybar 260. both FOs are from C&S

I made

root beer with 7%FO and 3/4 teaspoon of vybar burn time was roughly 5 hours.

hot buttered rum with 7%FO and no vybar burn time was roughly 4 hours.

So the question is does vybar affect how much FO can be put in as well as burn time????

This is a major test because i've made some tealights that have thrown for me in testing and at my mothers house, but when i gave them to a friend they had no hot throw, and she had 5 burning and couldn't smell them even leaning right over them using 6%FO all tealights in question were buttercream frosting, root beer, and hot buttered rum. These 3 tests(mine,mom,friend) were all from the same batches. and only 1 yielded bad results...Mom was not the one giving me the feedback, i lit them at her house and she couldn't smell them until she left the room, while i left the room right after i lit them came back in after she said she couldn't smell them and i could smell them, dad came in after me and asked what that smell was...

Yes, Vybar increases the FO load % of paraffin. Thats why plain paraffin mottles and sweats out some FO, but with vybar added it binds together and doesn't sweat. Though... too much vybar can lock the scent in and give a poor throw, so it's a balancing act.

1286 is made to be used in containers to produce a mottled effect without Vybar. It even has some mineral oil added by the manufacturer to help the mottling along and increase glass adhesion. So frankly, at 6% load it sweats like an obese person in a marathon.

For tealights it would be nice to use a paraffin without the added mineral oil, but you can use the 1286 if that's what you have. I agree with the idea of adding Vybar 260. Mottled tealights aren't all that interesting anyway.

I have the wax and would try this out for you if only I had extra time. Anyway I'd start with 1% V260 (about a tsp pp) with 7% FO and see how that works out. Be prepared with some wicks to try out. You don't want a weak or sickly flame, but you do want a small one in order not to kill the throw from such a little candle. I'd start by testing the really small sizes like CD 2, LX 8 and stuff like that. They'd probably burn fine in straight paraffin with some V260, but I'm not sure if the mineral oil would force a wick up.

Thanks Candlesprite, i'll have her try it again without cooking

Thanks as well murry, i'm down to about 8lbs of the 1286 and i'm going to be switching to either the 4627 or 4630 for containers and tealights, haven't decided yet. I like the ability to use extra FO if needed and not having to measure out the vybar :rolleyes2

I'm using TL-15 which is what CS suggested for the wax, the flame is nice and it burns really even, save for one test burn last night where it drowned itself out(was a vybarless tealight) Since the other wax suggets the TL-13 i think i'll order some of them and test those as well.