Whipped soap bad experience

soapnewbie

Ok,

Here goes. I used Nizzy's receipe, so I waied the lye and water accordinly to what it has listed. First thing, was the entire receipe in grams?,

Palm Oil 400

Coconut Oil 100

Canola Oil 110

Castor Oil 40

Caustic Soda 95g

Water 244g

So then I got confused and used this one in ounces. I ran it through Bramble berrys lye calculator and got Lye:3.67 and water:8.74 and used a blackberry scent. Oh boy did it seize on me. It turned out horrible. Can someone tell me what I did wrong?

Whipped Recipe 1

Palm Oil 17.5 ozs

Coconut Oil 3.5 ozs

Canola Oil 4 ozs

Castor Oil 1.5 ozs

Caustic/Lye 3.8ozs

Water 10 ozs

First...yes, Nizzy's recipe is in grams. He's in Australia, they use the metric system.

The recipe you used looks ok.....might have been the FO. I've had a blackberry sage move quickly on me. Were all your oils room temperature? Supposedly, because I've never used this method, you are supposed to have lots of play time even w/ finicky FO's....IF your oils are room temperature. So, no idea...maybe someone will chime in that has used this method.

Donna

some EOs seize as well. Check out the Scent Review Board to see if the FOs you are interested in move fast or seize...

http://scentreviewboard.obisoap.ca/index.php?sid=b550736901516ac458c98a16413d9fb9 You will have to join before you can view but it's a wonderful place were folks post how well (or poorly) an FO soaped. EOs too, by the way.

I've only made a couple of batches but didn't have a problem with the fo seizing. I also used a recipe with shortening because I don't use palm. Did you use about half the amount of fo that you would normally use?

You can try going to his website and emailing him, he's a nice guy.

love Nizzy's receipes...his are the only soaps I can make without fail...lol I've done them with FOs and EOs....I did find with FOs I didn't have to use the full amount. I used Bubbles n Lights FOs. Not sure from looking here what could have been wrong other then it just being the FO acting up.