soapcalc vs soapsheet.xlt

Jo Ann

I have been using soapcalc 9 for bringing together my recipes. today i tried soapsheet cuz i finally got office. my question is this...the lye and water don't match up between the two.

for 3 pounds: water ... lye (in ounces)

soapcalc .......18.24 .... 6.693

soapsheet ... 20.4 ...... 6.1

and i can't tell what the superfatted is on soapsheet, its 6% on soapcalc (at my choosing)

I like the idea of soapsheet, but it has a few confusing features.

another one is that the percent of other ingredients stays at 0 cuz i can't see how you would add other ingredients to change it.

any opinions on the two or which is better? or maybe you know what I don't understand that makes soapsheet a bit confusing for me.:P

You will see that to a degree with all lye calculators.

There's a lot of leeway on the water, so that doesn't concern me. As for the lye, well the actual SAPs for the oils is a RANGE and different calculators use a different number within the range for their calculations. But without knowing what the superfat is I cannot tell what is going on - it could be as simple as soapsheet using a higher level.

If it helps, I use soapcalc.com all the time and trust it.

yeah, i really like soapcalc, except it doen't save everything on the soap, and you can only save 4 recipes at a time. but i just found a newer version of the soapsheet and will check it out. i just wish there was a way to be able to save soapcalc better.

well for the new soapsheet3 to come close to soap calc, you have to make the DWCP% at 27%

i am not sure what to do with the superfatted oil section, cuz if you put oils in there it changes everything...so i ignored it and put all oils under the regular oil list. i am not sure if its supposed to be in both places.

well i messed with it a bit and i think that the section for superfatting was for fyi. it didn't really change anything. i pretty much have it set up to come to the same results as soapcalc

i think i will try a few more of my other recipes in it to see how close they come out

yeah, i really like soapcalc, except it doen't save everything on the soap, and you can only save 4 recipes at a time. but i just found a newer version of the soapsheet and will check it out. i just wish there was a way to be able to save soapcalc better.

Jo Ann

I agree about the saving bit and Soap Calc. If you want to save a recipe on your desktop this is what I do.

With your Soap Calc window open, and your recipe all figured out, I select the Print command, but instead of printing I find the PDF button in the dialog box and select it. Your recipe will be saved in PDF or Jpg format. You will not be able to change it, but you will have a record of it for reference.

TAS

TAS you are much smarter that I am, I wouldn't have thought of saving my recipes that way. I use soapmaker program http://soapmaker.ca/ there is a thirty day free trial and I thought it worth the price to be able to calculate the costs of each recipe. I do still check out some recipes in soapcalc, I just don't save them there. The spreadsheet, I haven't tried at all and I'm sure that I would be totally lost.

Deb

I got Soapmaker and love the features that it has. Since I started with Soap Calc I am really comfortable with it and use it to generate my recipes, then transfer them to Soapmaker. Since I am on a Mac I have to switch between the Mac side :tiptoe: over to the PC side - Soapmaker only works in the PC universe. I find everything easier on the Mac side....

TAS

Macs aren't perfect but they sure are easy. I keep telling my PC friends that I'm not smart enough to use a PC. I do have a duel core Mac - which lets me into the PC Universe. I got it because I wanted to use Soapmaker. I have to say I struggle in that universe. Just my inability to understand the hoops necessary. :lipsrseal

Am a point and click girl..:rolleyes2

TAS

i am very puter savy, been messing with them since 1978 in college. and only moved to windows out of necessity...software. i prefered OS2 from IBM and Linus...but all the programs i liked where windows compatible..sigh

but i am definitly gonna try the print and save thing. soapsheet 3 calculates cost and you can add oils. which is nice.

There's something to be said for making things work just the way you want. It took me only a few hours to create a lye calculator in Excel. That included importing Columbus Foods SAP values to create a lookup table and making everything pretty.

The next day I had it figuring the cost of making a batch, plus added a calculator to help with Select Shades. It's formatted so I can bring the entire plan to the soaping bench and have everything at my fingertips, including colors and swirl portions.

SoapCalc may seem mysterious, but it's super-simple arithmetic that's a snap to put into a spreadsheet. I haven't duplicated the soap qualities yet, but even that part is simple. Those numbers are just percentages of certain fatty acids in the recipe.

So if you feel comfortable with Excel, you might want to try your hand at a lye calculator. Over time you can add things according to how you work. I've been doing this for a long time for my candlemaking and I wouldn't trade those spreadsheet for any software on the market.

So if you feel comfortable with Excel, you might want to try your hand at a lye calculator. Over time you can add things according to how you work. I've been doing this for a long time for my candlemaking and I wouldn't trade those spreadsheet for any software on the market.

i was thinking of it...set it up and have my husband do the calc's i am no good at math whats so ever and i can never get calcs in excel right sigh

With your Soap Calc window open, and your recipe all figured out, I select the Print command, but instead of printing I find the PDF button in the dialog box and select it. Your recipe will be saved in PDF or Jpg format. You will not be able to change it, but you will have a record of it for reference.

TAS

TAS you're a genius! That worked great. Thanks for the tip.