silly wick/putty question

OK, so the first few pillars I made I didn't have a problem.

I am wicking my mold, using the wick screw, and the mold putty stuff to seal the bottom so that wax doesn't leak out everywhere. But I am noticing that some of the putty sticks to the wick, and since the bottom of the mold is the top of the candle, my wick is just not pretty!!

I tried to wrap a little wax paper around the wick and then seal it all up under the putty, but ummmm yeah that didn't work- had a nice puddle of wax though :laugh2: I do have a wick pin, but not sure I like using it and it won't work in my heart pillar mold.

So, any better ideas?!:confused:

I like wickpins and use them on molds not originally designed for them by simply centering the wickpin on the bottom of the mold where I want and putting a little mold putty underneath to help the pin stay put.

You could try using the shiny metal aluminum tape found in the plumbing/air conditioning/heating area of a home builders supply store. Unlike duct tape, this is SHINY like a mirror. Put minimal putty over the hole and tape the whole thing up well with the metal tape. HTH :)

Thanks Stella -I'll have to play with the wick pin some more (especially since I went and bought a heat tool!! :yay: ) and see if I can get the hang of it. I'll try it in my heart mold too and see how it goes, wasn't sure if it would pull out funny or if the top would be uneven if it wasn't the same diameter as the mold.

I appreciate the help!

Jen

One solution - but you have to be real careful is to let your pillar get hard enough to come out of the mold and then insert your wick pins where you want the wicks to go. I do my 3 wick pillar this way. The wax still has to be just a little soft though for the pin to go through. I have read where some drill the holds in their pillars. You might could do a search and find the instructions for that. I personally would be a little fraid' to do that

Of course put the mold sealer over the holes or you could try that black gorilla tape. It's pretty strong stuff but you have to use a lot of tape, or I did when I tried it.

I am using the flat braid from Peaks in various sizes - just went to their site and I don't read that the wicks are primed, so I am guessing it is raw. I think I read somewhere in the forum that I can prime the wicks myself by dipping in straight wax? (I am on here researching so much that I think I might imagine things sometimes! lol) Otherwise I may need to get some primed wick! - oh darn another order, probably will have to throw in some more FOs and whatever else I think I can't live without!! :laugh2:

Nope, sorry, you don't have to buy it :laugh2:

Mine is raw as well and I prime it myself. Yup, it's just coated in wax. I use a high temp wax (though I don't know if it makes a difference). I heat it up to around 200, watching carefully and soak, poke and stir it until the air bubbles stop. Priming isn't necessary for a good burn if you wick the candle as you make it since it soaks up the hot wax, but I don't know if it would soak up enough down the excess wick to keep the putty from sticking. I always prime mine because I usually use the wick pins. When I don't, I knot the wick instead of using screws and priming helps make the knot come out easier :)

Ahhhhh man, burst my shopping bubble! :P

Seriously though, thanks for the tips. I am getting ready to pour one using the wick pin (silly me assumed the wick pin had to sit inside the mold, just now realized it can come up through the bottom as well! DUH) so I'll see if I like that better. I think I will try your knot method too instead of the screws...... THANKS!