What do you think?

scrubzz

I am a long way from ever selling anything (and who knows - I may never do so)

But I thought of a name that could be used for a business, and would be a good one for the "style" I would go for if I ever decide go that far - So I thought about going ahead and registering the name now just in case I ever do decide to go further - while it is still available

I checked and the name is available as a domain name - Both .com and .net are available - So my question is this

Should I register both the .com and .net versions to keep anyone else from taking the .net if I ever get to the point of selling and actually building up the name? Or do I just go for the .com and not worry about the .net?

Domain registration is relatively inexpensive and of course you can have both versions pointing to the same site - but would it be worth it to even bother?

I know this is all very premature, I don't feel comfortable even giving anything away yet and here I am thinking about building up to not just selling but actually getting to the point of someone wanting to try and ride my coat tails so to speak - but if you are going to dream, dream big right?

TIA for your opinions

Snag both if you are even thinking about it! Trust me...the day will come when you'll wish you had. I speak from experience on this. Not only do I wish we'd gotten the .net, I also wish we would have registered a couple of variations that other people snapped right up...and they knew about us when they did it...and one basically said, so what, it's spelled differently. :angry2: Gotta cover all the bases these days.

ETD: My favorite saying is "Dream big and grow into it!" Saw it on a Ziggy cartoon a long time ago and have it taped to my desk for when I need a boost!

I agree...I would get them both ASAP. Also, you might want to look into registering your biz (name) with your state, even if it's just a DBA. Here, it costs $20, and I'm not obligated to do anything with the biz. Meaning, just because I have the name registered doesn't mean I have to be selling, but it would protect the name for the future.

You're going to be pretty bummed if you grab the domain names now, then in the future discover that you can't use the name in your state. HTH.

Thanks bee and Beth - I am going to go ahead and get them both - and thanks also Beth for the idea of going ahead and registering the name in my state - hadn't thought about that - will be checking into that also

Terrie as far as the VP Candles is concerned - :laugh2:

How could I ever live up to that name? I mean that would really take a Master Chandler to do that one justice LMAO