Anyone know of anything to toughen skin

cottoncandy

I have an uncle who has extremely thin sensitive skin. He said someone told him about some kind of product that was supposed to toughen or thicken your skin, but he could not remember what it was. If anyone knows of anything like that I would be extremely interested in having any info that you have. TIA.

:confused:

Found this article

Thin skin: What causes it?

clear.gifMy mother is 85 years old. Her skin is so thin that if she bumps against something, her skin tears open. What causes this? Is there anything we can do counteract this effect.

- Carol / Illinois

clear.gifcorner_form_tl.gifcorner_form_tr.gifcorner_form_bl.gifcorner_form_br.gif

Mayo Clinic dermatologist Lawrence Gibson, M.D., and colleagues answer select questions from readers.

Answer

Fragile or thin skin that tears easily is a fairly common problem, especially in older adults. Several factors may contribute to thin skin:

• <LI class=doublespace>Aging. With increasing age your skin becomes thinner and loses some of the protective fatty layer that helps cushions your blood vessels against injury. <LI class=doublespace>Sun exposure. Excessive sun exposure breaks down collagen and elastin fibers in the deep layer of your skin (dermis). Over time, your skin loses elasticity and becomes more fragile. <LI class=doublespace>Genetics. Genetics may play a role in making skin more fragile as well as more susceptible to sun damage. <LI class=doublespace>Side effect of medication. Certain medications, such as long-term use of oral or topical corticosteroids, can weaken skin and the blood vessels in skin.
  • Certain medical conditions — such as amyloidosis, Ehlers-Danlos syndrome or bleeding disorders — can affect skin.

Thin skin isn't necessarily a sign of a serious underlying medical condition but should be evaluated by a doctor to determine its cause. To protect thin skin and prevent tears and cuts:

• Wear long-sleeved shirts and long pants.
  • Avoid prolonged sun exposure.
  • If you must be outside in the sun, use a broad-spectrum sunscreen with a sun protection factor (SPF) of at least 15.
  • Keep skin well moisturized and protected by using a quality moisturizing cream, such as Vanicream, Cetaphil or Eucerin.

check out this link , talks about emu oil

http://www.jsemuoil.com/paper_thin_skin.htm

Just did a search on thin skin and this is just a couple of things

hope this helps

Kathy:yay:

Actually, I was researching last night for a serum I wanted to make for me, and vitamin B3 Niaminacide struck me as interesting in this sense.

"Niacinamide is the active form of Vitamin B3. A safe, nonirritating cosmeceutical ingredient which research shows can offer a number of benefits in improving the appearance of aged and photodamaged skin. Studies have shown topical niacinamide to be effective in improving skin texture and the appearance of hyperpigmented spots, with improvement in overall blotchiness and the reduction of the severity of fine lines. It has been shown to stimulate collagen synthesis and production of ceramide, a lipid compound that contributes to the functional and structural integrity of the skin barrier. Theoretically, by improving barrier integrity, niacinamide may help the skin become more resistant to external irritants."

-- Excerpt from Lotioncrafter

http://www.lotioncrafter.com/store/Vitamin-B3-Niacinamide-USP-pr-16292.html

Thanks for all the info. I have been reading alot about the emu oil and I am going to talk to him and see if he wants to give this a try. I have never used this in anything, but if he wants to try it, we will give it a go. If this doesn't work then maybe we will try some of the other things. I really appreciate the info that I get from this board. Everyone is always ready to try to help others. I am still sort of new to B&B, I am addicted bad. I guess this is a way to get to try something new, like I need something new. I have so many things I want to make. Thanks again for all the help.

:highfive: