Help please!...

tamilea

I've been trying to make an emulsified body butter, but am having ISSUES!! First batch got nice and creamy, then later seperated, next batch never did emulsify, just stayed a nasty, seperated mess:( . This batch seems to be better, but is still seperating some. And it's not very smooth.

About how long do you mix? Do I just keep beating the crap out of it? Or try again? Here's my receipe....can some of you experts please give it a look-see and tell me if it should be ok?

10.4oz distilled h2o

1.0oz stearic

1.0oz ewax

5.0oz oils--used 2.5 rbo + 2.5 mac

1.0oz shea

1.0oz mango

0.2oz fo

0.2oz pres

0.1oz vit e

0.1oz cornstarch

This is driving me nuts!!!:confused:

Thanks!!

i am not a body butter maker but I have made sugar scrub and my recipe doesn't have water in it

Maybe try to reverse you mango/shea with rbo/mac or just up the shea and add a tinge of ewax

It seems like your hard oils a a bit lower that liquid ones may be this is why it is not too creamy

Alot of lotion making is trial and error- just play with it and keep good notes.

You'll get.

katshe- I'll try uping the mango & ewax a touch and lowering the oils. Thanks!

MsDammit- The first batch I used a hand mixer, the next one I used my kitchenaid and this one I'm back to the hand mixer. Could the ka have overmixed it? Or is that even possible?

Without looking at my recipe, I'm pretty sure I use 10% ewax, and something like 8% stearic and cetyl in my butters and emulsified scrubs. I'll double check, but upping your emulsifiers should help.

It's all trial and error to find something that works for you and that you LIKE. That's the fun of it IMO, although it does make it more pricey. When you finally DO make something that is awesome you just have a great feeling of accomplishment! :D

Keep on keepin' on. ;)

beesweet- I'll lower the oils by 5% and up the ewax by 5% and I'll use my stick blender to see what happens. Being a newbie at this I don't know what kind of percentages to start with:rolleyes2 . Thanks for your help!

how's it going for you tamilea?

Well, I just finished whipping it up, and so far so good!:yay: I did up the ewax 5% and lowered the oils and used my stick blender in 3-5 min intervals. I finally got tired of waiting for it to cool on it's own and put it in a cold water bath for a few minutes. My poor stick blender is so hot now!

Michi- I know what you mean, I love going to soapcalc and making new receips and trying them out.. That is sooo much fun! Hopefully, after I make a few batches of butter/lotions I'll be more sure of myself.

Thanks guys!

Thanks katshe, I'll try a whisk first the next time. My stick blender worked well, but I made one heck of a mess at first with all the splattering going on. Now I'm waiting for some IPM to get here. I liked what I made so far, but it is a touch too draggy and greasy for my taste.