Square Braid/Flat Braid

What is the real difference in the 2 and which do you prefer for pillars? I have been using flat braid and really wish there was a size between 24 & 30. Will square braid help there? tia

Got my flats and squares mixed up:p

There is a 27-ply flat braid that some suppliers offer- I use 24-ply and 27-ply flat braid more frequently than 30- ply for my pillars.

I can't answer your question about the difference- I have some square but never use it because I have had such good results with flat ply

Differences: Flat braid tends to burn a little more in an oval or egg shape. The wick curls over as it burns. The square, from my tests, develops a circle as it burns. Nothing really wrong with either wick. It's just going to come down to a matter of choice for you and your wax.

Thanks Scented - I may try the square braid, was wanting to get away from the little curl the flat was doing. Only problem now, I just ordered some smaller flat braid! I guess one can never have to many wick choices can they:p

Grama,

I would be glad to send you some square braid wick to try- I have partial spools of #1 square braid, #2 sq braid and 2/0 sq braid. I could cut you off a length of each to try if you want. Would be glad to pop them in the mail to you at no cost.

Generally, looks like 2/0 or the #1 would be appropriate to try with 2-3" pillars, #2 for 3-4" pillars. As I mentioned, I never got around to trying them myself as I am happy with the flat braid and did so much wick testing that I decided to cease and desist testing for a while! I will probably be giving these a try myself now that I have some time to work on my candles again.

Thanks much Bailey but I had to order some fo's and they had the square braid some I ordered some 1 & 2. I also ordered the flat in 18, 22 ?, 27 from Candlewic yesterday. I guess I am "fixed" now:rolleyes2 That was all I really needed - more wicks to test:confused:

Ginger, here's one I like from Wickit...

http://www.wickit.net/index.html

When you click on the wick you are interested in, it gives basic info, then if you click on the recommendations from that page, you get their suggested wick sizes for different size candles.

Wicks Unlimited has a good list with descriptions and recommendations also...

http://www.wicksunlimited.com/candle_wicks.php

Well I got my square braid in but I didn't pay enough attention I guess to the sizing. I ordered 1/0 & 2/0 and don't think either of them will work. Guess I will try the 27 flat on my pillars this pm. When I have to order again if they have the #2 I will get some of that to try. It helps to pay attention :angry2: