Maybe I Should Have Asked This BEFORE I Soaped

southern.scents

Okay, I have been soaping like crazy the past couple days and I took yesterday off to build up energy for my batch that I hoped to "enter" into the swap with. Well, I soaped it last night. It was a simple batch IMO. My typical soap with some strawberry puree and cocoa powder added at trace with a light amount of chocolate dipped strawberries FO (I was going for Valentines themed). Well, in my research I found some post about cocoa powder and read that it would color the soap brown so I went really light, 1/4 teaspoon to my 4 pound batch. Well, the entire batch turned the brownish color and I could not get it to color red at all. I ended up with a pinkish brown grey color that doesn't look half bad with a few light red and dark green swirlsbut I was going for a vibrant red with a few dark brown swirls. My question is, has anyone else had the issue of not getting a batch to color. I was using liquid dye but in ALL of my other batches it worked great and the colors came out very vibrantly. I am wondering if maybe the issue was the cocoa or maybe the strawberry puree? I will post pics in the gallery when I get a chance.

Next time I will seperate the batch into 2/3 red and 1/3 brown and only add the cocoa to the brown part. Maybe this would have made a bigger diffrene and a better batch.

I too agree that is it probably your fo. Just did a chocolate soap last week, and it is as brown as brown now. Also put in 1tsp of cocoa powder to a 6lb batch.

Some fo's will never stay white in soap.

Tracey

Strawberry FOs are notorious for turning soap brown.

I'm sure adding cocoa powder to the portion you wanted red was part of the problem also. Not to mention the puree will brown.

All that being said, it is not easy to get a vibrant red in soap.

What kind of liquid colorant are you using?