How do you mix your lotion base and f/o??

busymommy

I am using MC Soy lotion base and I was wondering how everyone else mixes their base and fo. I made my first bottle by putting in the fo and then the lotion and shook like crazy. This base is so thick that I am afraid I will not get it mixed well. If there are any tips or tricks to this, please let me know.

If you're doing a small batch, the zip lock bags work great. I mix in my lotion, color and FO in those bags, but one suggestion.......use the freezer ones, the sandwich bags have a tendency to come unzipped, and you end up with your lotion all over. Then just snip the corner of the bag and squeeze the lotion into your bottle or jar.

If you're doing a small batch, the zip lock bags work great. I mix in my lotion, color and FO in those bags, but one suggestion.......use the freezer ones, the sandwich bags have a tendency to come unzipped, and you end up with your lotion all over. Then just snip the corner of the bag and squeeze the lotion into your bottle or jar.

I do the same. & don't use the "cheapie" ziplocs either, they always leak. But the ziploc way is the easiest I've found as well & it's great to just squeeze the mixed lotion into a jar or bottle, just like squeezing frosting onto a cake!

I've had to fill a couple of special order requests for a particular scent that wasn't part of my regular line up that I make in bulk, so what I did was pour the lotion in the bottle first then add FO and with the plastic tube from the lotion pump stir it around a bit, shake it and then stir it some more.

If you have thick lotion then shaking isn't going to do much good. If you're just making one bottle at a time you can put a zip lock baggie inside a cup for support, fill it with your lotion and FO and stir it, then seal it, cut a small tip off one corner and then fill your container. Trust people when they tell you not to go cheap on the baggies. I tried it once and the zipper stayed closed, but the side of the bag split and lotion was slowly oozing out and I didn't know it until I felt lotion on my arm at one point. Then I noticed it all over my apron (thank goodness I was wearing one), and even on my shoes.

I make a master batch of lotion enough to about 16 8 oz bottles that sells very quickly. I do not scent though the entire batch though, keep the entire thing unscented and then scent as my orders come in. Measure out 8.5 oz or whatever I need for the order, heat up the mixture a little bit, add the FO and then whisk the crap out of it, pour, viola! Done! FO incorporates better when the lotion is warm.

In a glass bowl with a spoon. If you did it in a large glass measuring cup, the spout may help you control pouring into a bottle.

If it's thick like what you're talking about, I put it in the jar it's going into anyway and stir the FO into it.

Darbla

I've had to fill a couple of special order requests for a particular scent that wasn't part of my regular line up that I make in bulk, so what I did was pour the lotion in the bottle first then add FO and with the plastic tube from the lotion pump stir it around a bit, shake it and then stir it some more.

If you have thick lotion then shaking isn't going to do much good. If you're just making one bottle at a time you can put a zip lock baggie inside a cup for support, fill it with your lotion and FO and stir it, then seal it, cut a small tip off one corner and then fill your container. Trust people when they tell you not to go cheap on the baggies. I tried it once and the zipper stayed closed, but the side of the bag split and lotion was slowly oozing out and I didn't know it until I felt lotion on my arm at one point. Then I noticed it all over my apron (thank goodness I was wearing one), and even on my shoes.

This is what I do also.

Ziploc baggie method for me as well. It was the easiest way to mix with the least amount of clean up. Snipping that corner makes packaging a breeze. I use quart size for smaller batches and gallon size for bigger batches.