Melting Large Batches - Presto Pot or Commercial Grade Melter?

Depending on how much wax you want to melt, my presto pot holds about 8 lbs. and I love it. Commercial melters are very expensive, so depending on your output, I would just go with a couple presto pots. I bought mine already converted, but I think it's fairly easy to do it yourself. Good luck!

Mama

Hi,

I held off as long as I could with just prestos, then I bought a turkey roaster and I now I had to break down and buy the real thing -- 150 lb. water jacket wax melter. I looked into the turkey fryer that many on here use and love, but I just did not feel comfortable with the heating element directly hitting the wax. I know that it would have worried me....not that it is a bad choice....just me. Many use the turkey fryers with great success.

I can't wait to receive the melter. I have read that those who use the commercial water jacket type melters do like them. If you have the money to invest in one, and are serious about your candle making/business (want to increase in production beyond what a presto(s) can do), I would go for an official wax melter. HTH :)

I started with the double boiler method, then went to Presto Pot and now I have the Turkey Fryer. Depending on what "large" amounts of wax consist of, you may want to forego the presto. I use my presto for votive/clamshell wax, most of my orders are for jars and 60 lbs at a time is enough for me.

For the turkey fryer, is there just basically one brand/model people use or many types? The masterbuilt digital stainless steel? Does this heat up evenly and not too hot for soy?

And . . .silly question . . .but the hot oil drain spout is where you pour the wax out from in the turkey fryer, right?

Sorry -- should have give more detail. I have the Masterbuilt digital stainless - set it to 200 degrees (the lowest setting) and have never had a problem with overheating. I think it does a wonderful job at heating evenly.

And because of where the spigot is I don't run the risk of exposing the heating element. Yes you do pour from the spigot / valve, whatever you want to call it.

Sorry -- should have give more detail. I have the Masterbuilt digital stainless - set it to 200 degrees (the lowest setting) and have never had a problem with overheating. I think it does a wonderful job at heating evenly.

And because of where the spigot is I don't run the risk of exposing the heating element. Yes you do pour from the spigot / valve, whatever you want to call it.

Just wondering SpaceGirl, what kind of wax do you use your turkey fryer for?

I make up my own blend - 75% GB 415 and 25% 4630. It's probably fairly similar to commercial 70/30 blends, but because I'm close to Peak's and can get both the 415 and 4630 without shipping that's what I use.... (and I think better in fourths than 70/30 - LOL).

I need to start melting much larger batches of my 100% soy wax. Is the presto pot the best next step? If so, best place to purchase a converted one?

Or should I spend for a real commercial model?

I have 5 Presto Pots, one has a spigot that I really never used much. You need the right set up to use it and I never had a place to set it higher than my counter. Have two Turkey Fryers and love them. There are lots of tips on the turkey fryer so read before using. Also have a Turkey Roaster but never liked it except for CPOP soap, took too long to melt. You'll start seeing the Turkey Fryer on sale so keep on eye out cause they are nice. But the Presto is what I used for years and still do when I make smaller batches. Good luck.

I make up my own blend - 75% GB 415 and 25% 4630. It's probably fairly similar to commercial 70/30 blends, but because I'm close to Peak's and can get both the 415 and 4630 without shipping that's what I use.... (and I think better in fourths than 70/30 - LOL).

I was just asking because I have one and burned my 444 wax. Maybe I'm using it wrong. Just not sure I like it because of the burning issue.(burnt soy wax smells terrible)

Truthfully I think I measured around the heating element when I first got it and haven't measured since. Can't remember what the temp measured either (sorry -- realize no help there).

Maybe the models are slightly different or something - because I know I've kept my fryer on for hours and never had my wax burn/overheat yet. (crosses fingers)

I have the Masterbuilt and the temp guage on mine goes down to 150F. It does turn on with a default temp setting of 200F...I agree with Stella though that the wax does get hotter near the element. I found if I add a couple of pounds of soy flakes while it's getting up to temp and stir periodically while it's melting, I can keep it regulated pretty well. Once that amount melts, then I add more flakes and additives....test temp and stir. The pot beeps when it gets to temp and start to cool off pretty quickly.

How hot does the element (or the area directly over the element) in your melter become? Just because the thermostat is set for 200°F does not mean that is the temperature around the element - it's usually way hotter than that... HTH :)

About 200-205 at the element and about 185-190 in middle of pot. Have about 35 lbs of was in right now and just turned down to 150. I usually never have it over 175 and never over 200 and only then when I'm melting faster. All temperatures are a little less than listed for the overall of the pot. I always keep a candy thermometer in the wax all the time just to check.