Stained Glass?

SatinDucky

I used to do it a lot. My advice is to buy the very best tools you can afford the first time.

Hmmm... I should saw this before I went to Hobby Lobby tonight...lol. Tools. Only ones I know of are the cutter and soldering iron. I'm hoping my soldering iron will work so I don't have to buy another one. Guess I'll find out tomorrow :/

We've been sitting here making a mess of the glass and wrapping the pieces in the copper foil only to realize we forgot to get the flux :mad:

I did stained glass (very poorly) long ago and soooo want to get back into it. But it's bad enough trying to soap with kids around and no workspace to call my own - I don't see the glass happening any time soon.

Flux - my BF and I have a little joke between us about flux (making fun of his ex) so I chuckle every time I see or hear that word.

I never did stained glass but I believe I remember hearing it's something where you work with lead? If so, be sure to work in a well ventilated area and wear a mask.

I looked it up and it appears it is used. Read up on how to do it safely and keep the kids away if working with soldering. http://www.environment.gov.au/atmosphere/airquality/publications/stainedglass.html

I never did stained glass but I believe I remember hearing it's something where you work with lead? If so, be sure to work in a well ventilated area and wear a mask.

I looked it up and it appears it is used. Read up on how to do it safely and keep the kids away if working with soldering. http://www.environment.gov.au/atmosphere/airquality/publications/stainedglass.html

Yes, it's a lead/tin solder mix. I'm very familiar with lead soldering from working on electronics, but thanks :) (oh, and no small children here ;))

Yep. Been working with glass since the 70s. There are two basic methods: lead came and copper foil (or the Tiffany method). The came method relies on lead came, but some pieces are made with zinc or brass came, but those are much more difficult with which to work. Soldering doesn't have to be a problem if you use lead-free solder and eco-friendly flux. The soldering techniques and irons used for stained glass are much different from what one would use with electronics or plumbing, though. A chisel-tip straight grip 100-200 watt iron is the hot setup. Weller makes an excellent starter iron that is reasonably priced.

Forums and such are great, but this is one skill that it truly pays to take a basic course from a seasoned glasser or studio. It's hard to TELL someone about the proper sound the cutter makes when the glass is scored properly and even harder to describe the different styles of glass cutters and tools and their proper use. It truly helps to be able to try out several kinds of cutters until you find the one that works best for you. Watching someone work glass, then doing it is the best way to learn. Hand and finger position are important and seeing a live demo is worth the cost of a basic class.

I learned all this many mango seasons before some of the gadgets and tools came out and I will be dead honest with you: at least HALF of what I see folks using nowadays is unnecessary. There are systems for capturing shards (I use ye olde newspaper section system and a bench brush); special boards on which to score glass (same newspaper section); plastic everything (I still have the tools I bought 30 years ago because they were made from metal), etc. There are store-bought jigs for everything - most you can make yourself out of stuff lying around.

The biggest impediment of glasswork today is the glass grinder. The cost on those has come down considerably since "back in the day" and beginners can hardly WAIT to get their hands on one so they can grind away their mistakes. Grinders are for finish-smoothing the edges of glass pieces - NOT to grind away areas where one has made a sloppy cut or grind out difficult breaks. When people get them too soon, they never learn to groze glass and they don't learn how to cut glass accurately. They don't think about the ground silica they are making in the process... The second biggest impediments to learning are the glass bandsaw and ringaw. You can cut incredibly difficult pieces with those; "gang" cut identical shapes, etc. For production work, they can't be beat, but again, they have become more affordable so folks use them instead of learning HOW to score and break accurately.

Internet sites and eBay have MUCH better prices on tools than you will find in a local studio. You can also get deals on glass, but the shipping is high (glass is HEAVY and requires a LOT of packing) and you do not have the advantage of seeing the piece of glass before you purchase it. With few exceptions, no two pieces of stained glass are alike. For little projects, the Spectrum T glass at Hobby Lobby is fine, but for larger projects, a dinky 12" x 12" piece ain't gonna get it.

Thanks Stella, that was good info :)

I live out in the boonies so it would take some searching to find a class. It's possible I may get addicted and require more and better tools. Just for playing I seem to be making do with what I have. I managed with my little 25W soldering iron, though the lines are in no way smooth. Kinda gives it a rustic look :laugh2: but that's ok. Hobby Lobby had only copper foil so that's what I used. Lead came.. is that what the U or H channel stuff is called? That's what I was looking for where you just solder the joints (that's what they did on tv). I discovered with this foil stuff you have to add solder everywhere to cover the foil. Ok, so I may be doing it wrong and it definitely doesn't look professional, but I had fun doing it. I made a flower suncatcher. When I get a pic taken, I'll post it and everyone can have a good laugh :laugh2:

Oh, and the grinder isn't and probably wont ever be in my budget so most pieces got foiled they way they were cut. There were a couple that we just couldn't get the curve to go in the right direction though. My bf whipped out his dremmel and used that on them :lipsrseal

Very cute flower! Most glass supply stores offer classes. I took one at the local high school, adult enrichment class. The best way to learn proper cutting and souldering techniques. One bit of advice, do not wear shorts when souldering! Blisters don't tan lol. Oh also wear shoes, you don't always feel a glass cut and the blood can really mess up a floor. That was the biggest mistake I've made. So keep a box of bandaids on hand for those little misshaps. Have fun! You're gonna love it!

I've done stained glass for 10+ years. It's a wonderful but expensive hobby! A glass grinder is a must as roughing up the edges is what makes the copper foil stick better. It's heartbreaking to have the foil come loose after you've completed a project and once it's had flux around it, it will never stick to the glass again. If you want to shop online, Warner-Crivellaro (www.warner-criv.com) is a great place to shop for supplies. Hobby Lobby has their Spectrum glass on 1/2 price often so watch for those sales, but I've found their supplies are very expensive compared to online shopping. Good luck and you'll find that you have yet another addiction to support!